Can I Relocate Database to New Drive?

I'm using Retrospect 6.0.212 on a MMD G4 running OS 10.3.9, to backup my G5 running OS 10.4.10. It looks like the old G4 might be on its last legs, and I have a couple of questions.

I want to buy a new, external drive to use for my daily backups (and stop using the internal dedicated drive I've been using for backup), but I'd like to find out if I can relocate the backup database to the new external drive and still maintain all the incremental backups that have been saved to the current internal drive I've been using.

The second question is, if I need to eventually replace the old G4, after installing a new version of Retrospect on a new machine (probably Intel mac mini), can I configure Retrospect to find the existing database on the external drive and pick up where I left off with the incremental backups?

Thanks in advance.

-zina

Yes, you can easily move File Backup Sets and Backup Set Catalogs to a different volume, the same way you would copy any file. For a File Backup Set, be sure that you copy the data portion and the catalog portion to the same destination folder.

After the move, you will need to tell Retrospect where the files are now located. The easiest way to do this is to double-click on the backup set's catalog (or the catalog portion of a file backup set). You can also go to Configure> Backup Sets> Configure, and navigate to the new location for the backup set's catalog.

Thank you so much, Twickaland. It almost seems too easy that I can simply drag and drop the backup sets and catalogs to the new external drive! Great news.

Again, I'm very grateful for your help.

By the way, do you know the answer to my second question, regarding a new version of retrospect being able to pick up where the old backups left off (thereby maintaining access to the incremental backups made with the previous version?)

Retrospect 6.1.x can continue to add to a backup set created under 6.0.x; it's only a pre-6.0 backup set that will become read-only.

(Once you write to the backup set under 6.1.x, you will no longer be able to access it using 6.0.x, but that should not pose a problem.)

Archived