Discs not loading

Why can't Retrospect read the CD or DVD discs in my backup sets? I don't get any error message, just the dreaded beach ball spinning and the dialogue box saying the disc is loading.

I have to force Retrospect to quit and then shut down my machine and use a paper clip to eject the discs. The same thing happens with different backup sets, with dvd or with cds. Both drives appear in the Retrospect configuration window. Both backups set were done on this machine. And I tested both drives. They can read dvds and cds.

Retrospect 6.1.126

Mac mirror door dual 1.25

Superdrive, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D

Combo Drive, HL-DT-ST-RW/DVD GCC-4480B mad.gif

(1) You have not provided the Retrospect Driver Update (RDU) version that you are using, and that would be useful information. I suggest you update to the latest RDU (RDU 6.1.11.101). The RDU updates are located here:

RDU version history

(2) If you are doing the "force quit" thing to quit Retrospect, you may have corrupted Retrospect's preferences, including the .rdi file in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect

I suggest that you quit Retrospect, trash the prefs, re-enter the config info, and try again.

(3) You do not say whether you have ever tried to manually configure your drive. If you have, and because your drive (Pioneer DVR-110D) is a supported drive, you would do better to use the config parameters in the RDU (assuming you update to the current version, see above). If you have ever manually configured your drive, there will be a .rdi file in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect

If there is, quit Retrospect, drag that file to the Desktop (so Retrospect won't see it, and so you can put it back if things don't work), launch Retrospect and retry.

(4) You don't say what DVD and CD media you are using. The entry for your drive in the Retrospect "supported devices" database:

Pioneer DVR-110D

says:

Quote:

Only DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL media is supported with this drive and Retrospect.
CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R DL media is not supported for use with Retrospect.

Are you using supported media?

Quote:

And I tested both drives. They can read dvds and cds.

How did you test them? Using Retrospect or the Finder? Retrospect uses a different set of commands to write its disks than does the Finder, so that Retrospect backup CDs/DVDs can be appended. Just because it works in the Finder does not mean that the set of commands needed by Retrospect works.

Russ

Rus,

RDU version is 6.1.11.101. The DVDs I've been using are Verbatim DVD-R. In fact the storage set was burned with this driver on this machine after I had installed and configured the new Pioneer DVR-110D drive. The other storage sets, using CD's were also made on this this machine with the older combo drive. In the past I had been able to restore files from my storage sets.

When I say tested, I meant I tested the drives by inserting dvd's and cd's with graphic files to see it they would be read by the drives. Both drives worked.

I think I'll try your suggestion #3 and see what happens.

Thanks

Quote:

When I say tested, I meant I tested the drives by inserting dvd's and cd's with graphic files to see it they would be read by the drives. Both drives worked.

As I suspected. That's not a test of the commands that Retrospect uses. You might also see if there is a firmware update for your drive.

Russ