Restore kills Firewire volume

I did a restore from a file archive to a volume, which is one of 4 partitions on an old iMac (CRT). File archive and Retro. 6.1.126 w/ Driver update 6.1.5.102 on Mac OS X 10.4.10 Sawtooth machine connected to iMac via firewire. After restore the Firewire volume wouldn't mount on Sawtooth Desktop, but the other 3 volumes would. Disk Utility on Sawtooth says the volume is unused, its icon is generic when mounted in DU, but returns to Firewire icon when dismounted, but still doesn't appear on Desktop. In Retro. the volume is available for backup/restore, but not as an option for a Disk archive. Reseting Open Firmware/PRAM on iMac has no effect. When the iMac (OS 10.2.8 Server) starts up, it looks normal with the restore on the Firewire dead volume OK.

This also happened with a restore to another old iMac, but that disk may be strange, since I was hacking the disk with Ubuntu earlier.

What could be the cause and how to fix?

You use the term "archive" twice, but it doesn't sound as if you are actually using the "Archive" function of Retrospect. So when you say I did a restore from a file archive to a volume you mean from a File Backup Set, right?

Help us understand the following:

> After restore the Firewire volume wouldn't mount on Sawtooth Desktop, but the other 3 volumes would.

> Disk Utility on Sawtooth says the volume is unused,

What exactly do you see in Disk Utility?

> its icon is generic when mounted in DU,

OK, so the volume _does_ mount on the Sawtooth Desktop, just not without DU help?

> but returns to Firewire icon when dismounted,

How can you see a volume's icon after it's dismounted? Are you talking about what you see in DU?

> but still doesn't appear on Desktop.

Still confused.

> In Retro. the volume is available for backup/restore, but not as an option for a Disk archive.

Retrospect can only Restore to volumes that are mounted at /Volumes/. And here you say "an option for a Disk archive" which doesn't really have any meaning in Retrospect. What do you mean by this?

I'm gonna suggest that there is something (or somethings) that you're leaving out here. Some more exact, step-by-step descriptions of what you're doing would be helpful.

Dave

Quote:

You use the term "archive" twice, but it doesn't sound as if you are actually using the "Archive" function of Retrospect. So when you say
I did a restore from a file archive to a volume
you mean from a File Backup Set, right?

Right

Help us understand the following:

> After restore the Firewire volume wouldn't mount on Sawtooth Desktop, but the other 3 volumes would.

> Disk Utility on Sawtooth says the volume is unused,

What exactly do you see in Disk Utility?

I see a generic icon for the restored volume "IBM20"

When I ask for Info in DU, it says the volume has nothing on it.

It does mount under OS 9, however.

> its icon is generic when mounted in DU,

OK, so the volume _does_ mount on the Sawtooth Desktop, just not without DU help?

No, it is only visible in DU

> but returns to Firewire icon when dismounted,

How can you see a volume's icon after it's dismounted? Are you talking about what you see in DU?

Yes.

> but still doesn't appear on Desktop.

Still confused.

It never appears on the Desktop when I try to mount it in target diskt (FW) mode with OS X.

> In Retro. the volume is available for backup/restore, but not as an option for a Disk archive.

Retrospect can only Restore to volumes that are mounted at /Volumes/. And here you say
"an option for a Disk archive"
which doesn't really have any meaning in Retrospect. What do you mean by this?

File Backup Set

I'm gonna suggest that there is something (or somethings) that you're leaving out here. Some more exact, step-by-step descriptions of what you're doing would be helpful.

Dave

I did a normal Restore Entire Disk from a File Backup Set.

dss

Quote:

Quote:

I did a normal Restore Entire Disk from a File Backup Set.

Thanks for playing.

What is the point of this? I answered all your questions.

After using the product for a normal function, it damaged my equipment. If this is the best you can do, EMC will not see any money from me in the future. That is certain.

Quote:

If this is the best you can do, EMC will not see any money from me in the future

Uh, I have nothing to do with EMC. I'm just a guy in his bathrobe sitting in his basement, who read your original post about a dozen times trying to make sense of it.

Providing a step-by-step account of what you did, and what you saw when you did it, helps others to visualize exactly what's going on.

Providing only a brief quip about a general method makes us cranky.

Dave

OK, One more time. (I did answer all questions in detail before, but the quoting wasn't right.)

A fully updated, OS X Client / Retro 6.1.126, Sawtooth was connected, via Firewire, to an iMac, which was started in the Target Disk mode. This means all 4 iMac partitions were mounted as volumes on the Sawtooth Desktop. The Source was a File Backup Set, with about 31 sessions, on the Sawtooth. I did a Restore Entire Disk to a Volume, which is one of the 4 partitions on the old CRT iMac. The restore completed without error.

After the restore, the Restored Volume wouldn't mount on the Sawtooth Desktop with the iMac in the Target Disk mode under OS X, only under OS 9. When starting the iMac, under its own OS X 10.2.8 Server system, from another iMac volume/partition, the Restored Volume was fine, that is, when examined on the iMac itself. This entire Volume had previously been made the Home directory for the Server and it continued to show the Home icon, as normal.

With the iMac started in the Target Disk Mode, examining its disk with Disk Utility on the Sawtooth under OS X showed the faulty Volume as a Generic Document icon in the left window and Number of Files as "0" at the bottom. Clicking Unmount in DU caused the Icon to show the Firewire Disk icon just like the good volumes. This is all in the List of Drives and Images in the left window in DU. Requesting Info for the Volume in DU generated a list of properties, including "Owners Enabled: No". Clicking Mount in DU caused the Icon to revert to a Generic Document and showed "Owners Enabled: Yes" in the Properties List when clicking Info. None of this has any effect at the bottom in DU or on the Desktop.

I can Verify or Repair the faulty Volume with DU, and when this operation is in progress the Icon changes to a normal FW Disk until the operation completes and then reverts to a Generic Document Icon in the DU window on the left. The Mount Point is normal for all iMac volumes.

The steps and methods you used are perfectly appropriate and supported, so what you are seeing is indeed quite odd. A couple of questions come to mind.

> After the restore, the Restored Volume wouldn't mount on the Sawtooth Desktop with the

> iMac in the Target Disk mode under OS X

- What happened when the Restore was complete? Retrospect does not unmoumt a Destination volume after an execution is complete, so in normal circumstances it should have still been mounted.

Breaking down if this is something caused by the data on the Snapshot, or if it's something unique to the physical/logical volume used as a Destination might help solve the mystery.

- Do you have another available volume you could use as a Destination for a Restore of the same Snapshot? That would test if the issue is reproducible.

- Can you repeat the operation on the same volume, to see if this was a spurious event?

> Requesting Info for the Volume in DU generated a list of properties, including "Owners Enabled: No".

Did you make sure that the "ignore ownership on this volume" was unchecked before you performed your Restore? Are the permissions of the files on the volume correct (you note it's a Home volume; is this for multiple users? Do all the users see their files correctly?)

You have described using Disk Utility to view the volume as an external FW device; have you used Disk Utility when you boot the machine from a partition on the same physical drive, so that the volume in question is being seen as a local partition?

- Is there anything unusual about the Snapshot you used for Restore? Was it created under OS X with Retrospect 6.1.x?

Let me throw out a tidbit for consideration. The partition table format changes with Leopard (Mac OS 10.5.x). Some utilities, when formatting a drive, may be "helpful" and install the Leopard partition table so that, eventually, the drive could be booted in Leopard (and, because Leopard will be Universal binary, if you format the drive with APM (used on PPC) partition table (the "new version" compatible with Leopard) rather than GPT (used on Intel only), you can create a disk that is bootable on either platform (Intel can boot from APM or GPT, PPC can only boot from APM, and the boot code is universal).

So consider the possibility (the thread is confusing, and I haven't done a word-by-word analysis reconciliation of all of the paths down which this has meandered) that some utility (perhaps even Disk Utility) might have put down a "new" partition table that Mac OS 10.2 can't recognize, and that there is also Classic boot support on the volume such that Classic can recognize the drive. Retrospect (at least not in its present form, perhaps never) won't put down a GPT or "new" APM partition table format.

Oh, and prepare for the joys of migration to Leopard. It's not pretty because the new partition table is larger than the old one, which makes a mess of converting RAID 1 mirrors. It's pretty much a "wipe and install". Retrospect is helpful to roll out to tape and back during this process.

Just food for thought.

Russ

Quote:

The steps and methods you used are perfectly appropriate and supported, so what you are seeing is indeed quite odd. A couple of questions come to mind.

> After the restore, the Restored Volume wouldn't mount on the Sawtooth Desktop with the

> iMac in the Target Disk mode under OS X

- What happened when the Restore was complete? Retrospect does not unmoumt a Destination volume after an execution is complete, so in normal circumstances it should have still been mounted.

I don't recall what the situation was, but I'd guess I notice the Volume was gone after the Restore and therefore rebooted both systems first and then and started looking at things with DU.

Quote:

Breaking down if this is something caused by the data on the Snapshot, or if it's something unique to the physical/logical volume used as a Destination might help solve the mystery.

- Do you have another available volume you could use as a Destination for a Restore of the same Snapshot? That would test if the issue is reproducible.

I do have another system of almost the same configuration the I could reformat. There are also two other volumes in the Backup Set that could be tried.

Quote:

- Can you repeat the operation on the same volume, to see if this was a spurious event?

The result of this was the same and then I rebooted the Sawtooth with no effect. However, after rebooting the iMac I got a "Device incorrectly removed. Device may have been damaged. Device should be unmounted from Desktop before being unplugged" type of warning on the Sawtooth. I had not removed the FW volumes manually, but this isn't normally a problem if you are rebooting the system hosting the FW device.

The result of the iMac reboot was no change on the Sawtooth Desktop or in DU.

Quote:

> Requesting Info for the Volume in DU generated a list of properties, including "Owners Enabled: No".

Did you make sure that the "ignore ownership on this volume" was unchecked before you performed your Restore? Are the permissions of the files on the volume correct (you note it's a Home volume; is this for multiple users? Do all the users see their files correctly?)

I have not unchecked the warning, so if the setting was wrong I would have gotten that, unless something was already confused.

Quote:

You have described using Disk Utility to view the volume as an external FW device; have you used Disk Utility when you boot the machine from a partition on the same physical drive, so that the volume in question is being seen as a local partition?

I can't dismount if I do that, because the Volume is in use. But starting from the Install CD allows be to validate the Volume which is fine and has normal info as viewed locally.

Quote:

- Is there anything unusual about the Snapshot you used for Restore? Was it created under OS X with Retrospect 6.1.x?

Nothing unusual. It was the lastest update.

The iMac Drive was formated from the 10.2 Server CD. So, partition scheme conflicts seems ruled out.

I restored another volume on the same disk. The result appeared normal immediately and after rebooting the Sawtooth, but when I rebooted the iMac there was no FW mount on the Sawtooth. Rebooting the Sawtooth brough up two of the 4 volumes in the left Finder window (earlier all three). The orginal three volumes appear on the Sawtooth desktop as before. The new troublesome volume is not the one that was restored. That continues to act normally.

Everything looks normal in DU on the Sawtooth. That is, the same as earlier, where I get a generic doc icon for the originally restored volume. The restored volume verifies.

I restored yet another volume with no problems.

When I FW mount the iMac disk on another old iMac running OS X 10.3.9 Server, all volumes mount and appear normal! I have seen Firewire wierdness before, but this is way out there. So, whatever the problem is, it only comes up when you try to mount the restored volume on 10.4.x or maybe just 10.4.10?

Archived