Error -43 and -24201 Any idea?

I use Mac OS X Server Version 10.4.8 and installed Retrospect Version 6.1 to Backup files from Sever to Lacie. But a -43 error happened, I found that some files I edited while an backup operation was in progress.

After completed the backup, I restore the backup set file another -24201 error happend.How can I handle with my backup and restore?

Sorry; simply not enough information in your post to go on.

-43 is a file not found error. But you don't describe if the error came during backup, or during the compare phase. Either place can happen, and it can be perfectly normal.

A more complete description of the steps you're taking and the things you're seeing would be necessary for others to offer any helpful suggestions.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I use Retrospect 6.1 backup sharing folder from a Xserver to a Lacie hard disk, there are some people with log in the sever to access the folder, they will move, delete,read or write files in the folder,While an backup operation was in progress. So -43 some files not found error happened.It is very normal?

After I completed the backup of the folder, I want to have a test to restore some files I know in the folder.

but another error happended it is -24201(chunk checksum failed).Is that means I need to repairing a File Backup Set? Repairing a file backup finished, I will get the file (besides the -43 error files not found)?

Can you give me any suggestion while the daily backup job for me when using Retrospect 6.1?

Is that better I start the backup job when no one access the sharing folder?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Quote:

I use Retrospect 6.1 backup sharing folder from a Xserver to a Lacie hard disk

This is still incomplete information. Retrospect 6.1 has numerous build versions, and a hard disk drive can be used in multiple ways to store backup data.

- What complete version of Retrospect?

- Which RDU (Retrospect Device Update) is installed along with Retrospect?

- What interface does the Lacie drive have, FireWire or USB2?

- What "Type" of Backup Set is in use (File or Removable)? (ah, you mention File Backup Set in your post; confirm please that you are indeed using a File Backup Set)

A chunk error in a File Backup Set might indicate a problem with the hard drive itself, or its connection to the computer. Lacie seems to get lots of reports of problems in various situations.

- What complete version of Retrospect?

Retrospect Version 6.1.126

- Which RDU (Retrospect Device Update) is installed along with Retrospect?

RDU I have not been installed,Where I can get the RDU

- What interface does the Lacie drive have, FireWire or USB2?

FireWire

- What "Type" of Backup Set is in use (File or Removable)?

I chose the type of backup set in use is File

So I also want to ask you about:

Can you give me any suggestion while the daily backup job for me when using Retrospect 6.1?

The current RDU is 6.1.11.101. The current RDU is always located here:

Retrospect Mac updates

Older RDU versions are here:

RDU version history

Quote:

Definitely. If possible, it is always best to back up a quiescent file system. Some programs (e.g., the Cyrus mail server and many accounting and database programs) require that an entire set of files be backed up as a consistent set. If you are only able to back up some of the files (as might happen if the files are open), or if the files are not backed up as a consistent set (as might happen if the files are changing while being backed up) then you could have corruption of that program's database when/if the files are restored.

Russ

Archived