DVD recorders not recognized in Vista when nVidia Raid driver in use

JeffBean

Up until two days I was running Retrospect Professional 7.0 on Windows XP SP2 using a pair of DVD/RW drives as backup devices. A year ago, when I purchased a computer whose main C drive consisted of two disks in a Raid 0 configuration using NForce4 RAID drivers I had a problem where Retrospect did not recognize the DVD/RW drives. It simply refused to acknowledge that they existed. I contacted Dantz support and they sent me a special build of Retrospect (7.0.328) that solved the problem.

Now, a year later, I have installed Windows Vista on the same computer together with Retrospect Professional 7.5, version 7.5.387 and driver update 7.5.11.100. I did a clean install of Windows Vista, not an upgrade. I am having the same problem as I did before -- Retrospect refuses to acknowledge that the DVD/RW drives exist. This is the same hardware as was working just a few days ago using Windows XP and Retrospect 7.0.

In the Environment tab of the Devices window I see the following:

Device 0:0:0, Vendor, Product and Version are all dots.

Device 0:1:0, Vendor, Product and Version are all dots.

Device 1:0:0, Vendor ST350064, Product 1AS, Version 3.AA (this is a non-raid SATA hard drive)

Device 2:0:0, Vendor ST375064, Product 0AS, Version 3.AA (this is another non-raid SATA hard drive)

The DVD drives, which are attached using using a conventional IDE cable (not SATA), are not listed at all.

In the Windows device manager I see under Disk drives:

NVIDIA STRIPE 465.77G

SMSC 223 U HS-CF USB Device (these four are USB flash memory slots built in to my monitor)

SMSC 223 U HS-MS USB Device

SMSC 223 U HS-SD/MMC USB Device

SMSC 223 U HS-SM USB Device

ST3500641AS ATA Device

ST3750640AS ATA Device

and under DVD/CD-ROM drives I see:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B ATA Device

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B ATA Device

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Jeff Bean

Archived