Transferring files from Tape to DVD

I need help getting all the information off of my QIC-WIDE 3080 tapes over to DVD. Do I have to restore the total backup (100gigs) to my hard drive and then create a new catalog from that folder onto new DVDs? Is there an easier way to transfer the information straight from one source to another?I would appreciate any help you could offer. I am using version 6.0.204 on my Mac Pro and version 5.0.2 on my G4.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also interested in transferring tapes to DVD. I started a transfer to a new DVD backup set and execution failed on my 3rd DVD with an error 109: unexpected filemark or FTP end of file. I would like to try to resume this transfer - does anyone know if this is possible without having to start over and redo the 2 DVDs that successfully transferred? When I select the source and destination backup sets, I don't see anywhere to tell Retrospect not to copy files it has already copied into the destination backup set.

Thanks.

Quote:

When I select the source and destination backup sets, I don't see anywhere to tell Retrospect not to copy files it has already copied into the destination backup set.

That's true; there is no way to get Retrospect to automatically compare one backup set to another. However, there are a couple of workarounds.

One way is to note the backup date and time of the last file successfully transferred, and then to begin your new transfer using as a selection criterion only those files backed up after that time. This would be my first choice.

Alternatively, you can set as "Missing" those tape members that were already completely transferred. The new transfer will then begin with the first non-missing tape. This will likely give you some duplication of files in your new backup set, but better to have two copies of a file than none. (If you do follow this method, be sure to set the tape members as "Found" when you're done, so you don't have trouble restoring in the future.)

Archived