DDS4 drive sees DDS2 tapes as erased - won't retrieve data

I replaced an aging DDS2 tape drive (DAT Technologies - Archive Python) with a Quantum DDS4 drive, and now my previous backup tapes show as "Erased" when trying to retrieve data. I have to re-connect my old tape drive and then Retrospect "sees" the tape and is able to recover - most of the time.

Running Retrospect 6.1, Mac OSX 10.4, latest driver update 6.1.10.100, each tape drive on a separate SCSI card:

Archive Python on Adaptec ADPT2930CU; Quantum on Atto Express PCI Pro UL2D

A DDS4 drive is SUPPOSED to be backward compatible read/write with all previous tape formats.

What's wrong?

Quote:

A DDS4 drive is SUPPOSED to be backward compatible read/write with all previous tape formats.

What's wrong?

Theory doesn't always match practice. Either the old drive or the new drive could be out of alignment. The old drive could have written some incompatible header at the start of the tape (that's how Retrospect decides whether the tape is "erased" - is there readable data on the tape at BOT?). Perhaps the new drive needs a firmware update.

Save the old drive, keep it connected.

Russ