server/client compatibility

Hi,

I've been looking for 2 hours now on the Dantz website to find the following information, but still no success.

Does someone know which client versions work, or are required for Mac backup server (4.3/5.0) and the PC version 5.6? Thanks!

Dantz recommends always using the latest version of the client software with your backups. Upgrades can be pushed across the network via the application under: Configure > Clients > Update Clients. For a large organization, this can save many hours of upgrade time.

For Retrospect 5.6, you should use Client Version 5.6

For Retrospect 4.3/5.0 you can use 4.3 or 5.0 client under OS 9 and earlier, and the 5.0 client under OS X.

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, I can use client version 5.0, 5.15 with Retrospect backup 4.3/5.0?

And client version 5.6 is not compatible with 5.0/5.1/4.3. Is there some more detailed information available please, outlining which client works with which server versions, and what the problems/limitations are?

Windows clients should use Retrospect Client version 5.6

Macintosh clients should use Retrospect Client 4.3 _or_ 5.0

All Windows clients can be backed up by backed up by the current Macintosh application (Retrospect 5.0)

All OS 9 and earlier clients can be backed up by the current Windows release, 5.6. OS X clients will be supported in a future release.

These are the currently shipping client versions. If you are using older client software, you should upgrade to these versions.

To see a product comparison matrix for the application, please see:

www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=product_features

We don't have a comparison chart for old, non-shipping versions of the client software. The current Windows client works on all supported Windows Operating Systems and the current Macintosh client works on all supported Macintosh Operating Systems. If your client version is earlier then 5.6 Windows, you should update it. If you client is earlier then 4.3 Macintosh, you should update it.

Sorry but I don't see any reason why we should have to update to version 5 of Retrospect for Macintosh or 5.6 for Windows, and all client software. As far as I can gather, the new versions would not give us any new features or improvements that would justify the move or upgrade of our clients and servers. Can I backup Windows 5.6 clients with Retrospect Server 4.3 for Macintosh ?

Archived