Sony DRX-830UL/T (SONY DVD RW DRU-830A)

I'm considering buying a Sony DRX-830UL/T to replace a Yamaha CRW-F1E that is in the process of dying, after many years of use with Retrospect and for other purposes. Are there any plans for Retrospect to support this Sony drive? Has anyone tried CD/DVD Custom Configuration on it, and if so, what were the results?

If you ask why don't I just buy a drive supported by Retrospect, this is the only external drive that I found that is a combination CD-RW, DVD±RW, DVD±R DL, and 12x DVD-RAM that is bundled with Mac software for burning disks.

• 1 month later...

I have been using Retrospect (mostly trouble free) for years. I am using version 6.1.126 on a Powermac G4 running OS 10.4.9. My previous burner worked great....but I don't remember which it was. It died and I replaced it with a Sony DRX-830UL/T. Since that time, I have not been able to get any backups to work. I tried configuring it with custom configuration and it recognizes the drive but still fails. So.... I can't say if it is possible but so far I have failed. I am about to buy a new drive as it has been nearly a month since I can do a backup and I am getting nervous. If anyone has any suggestions how I can make this work, I would be thrilled to hear them!