VolSnap Error

bkbs

Retrospect has been running a scripted backup of my local C and F drives for many months without problems. (only recent change apart from Windows Updates is AVG Internet Security, installed 8th April).

On that that nights backup there were 640 errors reported, 6 when copying drive C (one 1017, one 1101, three winerr 55 error 1102's and a 1102 without the winerr bit!) The others were all error 1101's when comparing.

The following night's backup produced 1047 errors, 3 when copying (a 1017, and 2 1102's) and again a raft of 1101 errors when comparing.

There were two errors in the system event log 'VolSnap' event 12 and event 25, event 12 had the text:- "The shadow copy of volume C: became low on diff area space before it was properly installed".

Last night 11,324 errors!!. winerr 55 error 1102: unknown Windows error -1,102, winerr -1101, error -1001.

Anyone give me a clue as to what might be going on?

Thanks, I know it is, but the only references I can find to it on the Microsoft knowledgebase refer to Windows Server O/S's not XP, that's why I posted here just in case any other Retrospect users had the problem - or better still a solution!

I'd check the disk space of the drive to make sure its not full. The snapshot function does save some invisible log files onto the drive. You might also consider running a chkdsk on the drive by telling the computer as an administrator to run it on next reboot (for example on the command line, typing in chkdsk c: /f) then rebooting.

Assuming the drive isn't near full, this should fix the problem, as I encountered similar issues at a client site.

Drive is nowhere near full (only app. 50%). Ran a chkdsk/f this am so will see if tonights backup any different - over 12,000 errors last night! Think this has something to do with Microsoft knowledge base article 'Shadow copies disappear following defrag' since the problem started after a defrag that was aborted. Trouble is all the Microsoft article refers to is Server 2003 not XP.

After running chkdsk/f only 2 errors this morning -

"cannot perform open file backup on C: insufficient permissions (1017)"

"cannot perform open file backup on F: insufficient permissions (1017)"

Also the same VolSnap errors in the system event log. Any ideas anyone?

Archived