DVR-K06 (iMac internal drive) not reliable?

Hi,

I've got a Core 2 Duo iMac with the Pioneer DVR-K06 drive. The drive seems to work fine with the Finder using DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD+R media. However, Retrospect often gives me error 102 (cannot communicate) when I try to back up using this drive. I wind up with partially filled disks sometimes, or coasters at other times. Any thoughts? Will a driver update perhaps improve support?

Anton

Quote:

I've got a Core 2 Duo iMac with the Pioneer DVR-K06 drive. The drive seems to work fine with the Finder using DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD+R media. However, Retrospect often gives me error 102 (cannot communicate) when I try to back up using this drive. I wind up with partially filled disks sometimes, or coasters at other times.

Anton,

(1) Retrospect uses a different writing mechanism than the Finder to write to CD/DVDs so that backup sets can be appended and so that more data can be put on the disc. See:

Why do Retrospect drivers take so long to appear?

(2) Your Pioneer DVR-K06 is currently not a supported Retrospect device. See:

Retrospect Supported Devices Database

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Get a supported device or try custom configuration, which might work.

Quote:

Will a driver update perhaps improve support?

Yes if the driver update includes support for your device.

You haven't provided any configuration information other than you have a "Core 2 Duo iMac with the Pioneer DVR-K06 drive". No information as to Retrospect version, so we don't have a clue whether you are current there. No information as to Retrospect Driver Update version, so we don't have a clue whether you are current there. No information as to Mac OS version.

Current Retrospect Mac updates are here:

Retrospect Mac updates

Hope this helps,

Russ

Yes, I should have posted my details. Retrospect 6.1.126, Retrospect Driver Update 6.1.9.102, Mac OS 10.4.9, Core 2 Duo iMac 20" (2.16 GHz), 3 GB RAM [also failed with 2 GB].

While the DVR-K06 is not listed in the supported devices database, the ReadMe for the RDU does list it:

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=8136&r=0.2420008

"Pioneer DVR-K06 (Apple version) Optical Drive."

Quote:

While the DVR-K06 is not listed in the supported devices database, the ReadMe for the RDU does list it:

Great, then you should be in luck if you've got the RDU 6.1.9.102. Looks like EMC needs to update their database with the listed supported drives in the RDU 6.1.9.102 release notes.

Make sure that you haven't done a manual configuration, because that would override the RDU. If you have done a manual configuration, then there will be a .rdi file in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect that you should move to the Desktop (while Retrospect is not running) and try to use the device then.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the 6.1.9.102 didn't work reliably with DVD+RW media on this drive.

Reusing the same media that failed on my last attempt has worked so far since applying 6.1.10.100.

I don't see any DVD-related changes listed, though, so I don't know if I'm just (un)lucky so far.