Configuring DVD drive for multiple formats

Hi, I've been using Retrospect for 3-4 years, but do not consider myself to be an expert.

I run regular hard drive backups at work and home. Because I keep all but the current member of my work backup set at home, I had the brilliant idea to use the restore file function to access work files when I'm not in the office. The backups are in different formats, so I attempted to configure my home DVD writer for a second format. After I did this, I could access the work files, but the home backup discs wasn't recognized. When I re-configured the drive for the home format I lost the work format.

Is it possible to configure this DVD drive for 2 formats?

Details

Retrospect 7.5 (work), 6.5 (home)

TSST TS-L632D writer (un-supported?)

work format = DVD+R

home format = DVD-R

Many thanks for your sage advice. Peter

Most, if not all, readers can READ both formats. However, +R media can only be written in +R format, etc. +R and -R are technologies, and the writers must write according to the media type. Once the media is written, most readers can read all formats of media.

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you are asking. Have you tried writing +R disks at home?

Russ

Sorry for the confusion: My home DVD writer (TSST TS-L632D) is DVD+-RW, so it recognizes/reads, and writes/burns, to -R and +R media using applications other than Retrospect. I cannot get Retrospect to read a backup set from both formats simultaneously.

I would like to have Retrospect continue to create my home backup set, but have the opportunity to restore files from the work back up set.

Hi Peter

You'll need to configure for all formats at the same time. For example, when it's done formatting for +R it will then ask if you want to format for any other media types. At that point you can say Yes or OK and format for -R. You have to configure for _every_ type of media you want to use with Retrospect at the same time. Later configurations for a given drive do not append to the configuration file.

That said... Russ is correct. The drive did not pass certification by the hardware engineers - the device entry says "Not Supported" which is different then "Not Tested". The engineers put drives through a pretty rigorous process. Somewhere the drive failed on a fundamental level, so proceed at your own risk.

Amy

Thanks. I did not try to do the configurations at the same time.

First I configured for the work DVD set (+R) and tested the restore function. Then noticing that my home backup set could not find a compatible disk, re-configured for the home DVD set (-R).

Actually, when I performed the second configuration and ran the home backup script, I received error code 101. When I put a new disk in, I received error code 103 ("Unexpected beginning of media"). Does this mean I can no longer append to my home backup set?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If I understand Amy's suggestion, is it possible to run the device configuration program again (since you can't append to the configuration file), configure for both DVD-R and DVD+R at the same time, and then use both types of disks? I am intrigued by statements that DVD+R is faster, but I have been using DVD-R for backups for many years and do not want to risk not being able to access them. Does anyone have experience with how much faster DVD+R is? Many thanks for any recommendations.