Hi,

I'm getting this error everytime Retrospect opens and it disables the backup procedure unless I'm there to get rid of it.

The error says "Can't save changes to tohe operations log, error -1309 (file too large for allocation block size). The file is on a locked volume or folder."

None of my partitions or backup drives are locked, so I'm not sure what to do.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks,

kt

It sounds like the operations log file may be corrupt. Try dragging it to the deskop and letting Retrospect create a new log file. The log is located at /Library/Preferences/Retrospect.

You might also want to use Disk Utility or other software to check for possible directory corruption on your boot volume.

(1) what version of Retrospect are you using? (see the log entry on launch)

(2) what version of Retrospect created the backup set initially?

(3) what type of filesystem is on the drive holding the operations log?

(4) what do you have set as the log file maximum size ("Log limit size") in Retrospect's preferences?

(Settings > Preferences, Logging)

(5) could you please execute the following two commands in Terminal and post the output:

Code:

ls -ald /Library/Preferences/Retrospect

ls -al /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Oper*

Russ

Thank you all for your help. First of all, there is no operations log file present in Preferences folder. I'm on a Mac G5, 2.5 Dual processor with 6 gigs ram. System is 10.4.8. Retrospect 6.1.126, which is also the version that created the backup set initially. Log file max. size is 10 megs. Here is what I get when I execute your Terminal commands;

ls -ald /Library/Preferences/Retrospect

drwxrwxr-x 10 ktflan admin 340 Mar 15 11:17 /Library/Preferences/Retrospect

ls -al /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Oper*[myname-G5-Computer:~] username% ls -al /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Oper*

-rw-rw---- 1 root admin 2147483608 Mar 5 08:30 /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Operations Log

I've taken out myname and username for privacy purposes.

Can anyone make sense of this?

Thanks again,

kt

I was kinda waiting for Russ to get back on this, since he's the unix guru...

Quote:

First of all, there is no operations log file present in Preferences folder.

I bet you were looking in /Users/ktflan/Library/ etc. Instead, what you want the root level library (highlight your boot volume in Finder and navigate to /Library/Preferences/Retrospect).

The output in Terminal indicates that the log file is where it should be, but its apparent size is humongous (>16 GB) and the permissions are wrong. It may be that the file is actually that big, but instead there may be problems with the volume directory.

You could try just dragging the file to the trash and then emptying it. However, with the potential for directory corruption. I'd be inclined to boot from a CD or another drive and run Disk Warrior (or Disk Utility) to check and, as necessary, repair the volume's directory.

Quote:

The output in Terminal indicates that the log file is where it should be, but its apparent size is humongous (>16 GB) and the permissions are wrong. It may be that the file is actually that big, but instead there may be problems with the volume directory.

It may be that the Retrospect preferences file is garbage so that the log rolling preference doesn't work. Everything you are seeing is consistent with the humongous log file. Your permissions on your log file are correct.

With Retrospect not running, drag the operations log file to the trash (the safe way to do it) and empty the trash. Or, if you can type VERY CAREFULLY, type the following command AND DO NOT PUT A SPACE BEFORE THE ASTERISK OR ANYWHERE IN THE PATH FOR THE ARGUMENT OR GRAVE DISORDER COULD RESULT (you may have to enter your admin password):

Code:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Oper*

Now start Retrospect and then quit Retrospect. Then do this command and post the new output:

Code:

ls -al /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Oper*

You should be good to go. Over the next month or so, monitor the output of that command. Your log file should not get bigger than the 10 MB limit that you have set. If it does, let us know and we will try the more drastic step of trashing the Retrospect preferences and having you re-enter the setup.

Twickland's suggestion of booting from your install CD and verifying your filesystem integrity on your boot drive wouldn't hurt, but I don't see anything that indicates that is the problem.

Russ

Archived