New DVD Burner Problem

We have been using retrospect 6.5 in our lab for a while now and i have done a lot of backups using it. Now we have changed our dvd burner and the new drive is not supported with the latest drivers file i can find for 6.5. My device is a NEC ND-3550A and i had to custom configure it. I did with a DVD-R (which were the ones we had been using so far). After that i was always prompted to insert a new disc for every backup so we run out of dvds, now we started using DL dvds so i configured the drive in retrospect to recognized them. Now it does but it stopped recognizing the DVD-R discs where we have all our older backups (It says "unrecognized" in the status field). Is it the case that every time you configure a drive you lose the previous manual configuration (it doesn't append to the driver but overrides it)? meaning i have to configure all my type of media in the same session? If that is indeed the case; as i said before, i ran out of the exact same DVD-R i was using before. Can i configure the drive with a different brand of DVD-R and it will recognize my SONY DVD-R?

Also, i noticed that the device is supported in version 7.5 natively, can i use the driver for 7.5 in version

6.5?? or is there a way to extract the info for 1 specific drive?

I called dantz to ask if upgrading to version 7.5 would solve the problems i have with 6.5. The only one that it solves is not having to configure the drive myself. There are still a lot of improvements to do in the software. I am not convinced paying to upgrade 7 licenses is worthed

My biggest problem (which is already in a different thread) is backing up NAS devices, they told me simply, "oh no, we dont support NAS" because you have to authenticate to access them.