Macbook Pro Matshita drive compatibility?

My Powerbook G4 died so I replaced it with a new (Feb 2007) MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo, which comes with Mac OS X 10.4.8. I am using the current version of Retrospect at this writing, which is 6.1.126 with the version 6.1.9.102 driver update.

Retrospect seems unable to configure the internal optical drive with any form of DVD media. I have tried DVD+R, DVD+R DL, and DVD-R (as well as CD-R).

Retrospect shows this info for the internal Superdrive:

Vendor: Matshita

Product: DVD-R UJ-85J

Version: FAV1

Driver: ATAPI

I have removed the device01.rdl file and tried again.

By the way, Retrospect always fails when it tries to report the errors, showing "failed to connect to the internet."

Is this version of the MBPro supported by Retrospect?

Thank you.

Having checked through the archives on this question, I'm pretty sure that it's not your MacBook Pro that's unsupported, it's your optical drive. I've got a new iMac (24" monitor) with the UJ-85J drive and I've a similar problem, although I don't get the message, "failed to connect to the Internet." Rather, Retrospect simply won't recognize any disc I insert for backup. So the backup process stalls when it tries to find a disc.

Apparently, we need to wait for a new driver from EMC that will incorporate the UJ-85J. I have no idea how long that will be... Does anybody else?

Recently discovered that the Apple Mashita drive UJ-857 will recognize +R discs but not -R. The problem here is that I have a very large catalog of files stored on DVD-R. To be specific the device describes the -R disks as incompatible. The confusing part about this is the fact that it can't read a retrspect format (not backward compatible). I understand if it was trying to write it. But it is not. What to do? Please advise.