Regarding article 850 in the Dantz knowledgebase ("task.c-402 when using Retrospect 5.0 with AppleScript") -- back in late April, I exchanged emails with Robin Mayoff and sent sample error logs from my Macs running Retrospect 5. Robin's last reply to me was, "Thanks to your help, we have logged a bug for this problem and hope to fix it in a future release."

My questions is -- when!?!

The workaround posted online -- launch Retrospect manually and configure it to "don't quit" -- is particularly annoying. When I upgraded our eight Macs from version 4.3 to 5.0, I lost the ability to receive email logs from them during the nightly backup. For me, this is mostly a nuisance, but I can imagine that for companies with large numbers of Retrospect 5 installed, this is a major pain. To have to manually go around to each computer every day to see if the backup the previous night succeeded is very annoying, and in some cases, just not possible. Email notification is a very important part of any backup software package.

An amendment to the knowledgebase article: the problem also happens with Eudora 5.1.1, so there is NO email program at all that I can use on my Macs to get email notification.

LASTLY, once again, I have to say that, in my opinion, the fact that Retrospect doesn't have built-in email notification support (or doesn't include a standalone email utility to be run by Retrospect) is absurd. Retrospect for Windows includes a small DOS-based utility that serves this purpose and doesn't rely on some third-party software. My Windows 2000 file server runs Veritas BackupExec 8.6 and emails me when backups are completed at night, or if they fail -- why Retrospect relies on AppleScript as a conduit to a third-party utility to do something that it should do itself is bizarre.

I don't know if this has been relegated to a low-priority status, but it's important that it get fixed. I'm not normally one to make complaints, but it's been months since this bug has been reported and I've not heard a peep out of Dantz about this problem.

In reply to:

Regarding article 850 in the Dantz knowledgebase ("task.c-402 when using Retrospect 5.0 with AppleScript") -- back in late April, I exchanged emails with Robin Mayoff and sent sample error logs from my Macs running Retrospect 5. Robin's last reply to me was, "Thanks to your help, we have logged a bug for this problem and hope to fix it in a future release."

My questions is -- when!?!

Dantz is releasing an update later this summer to support the next OS release, 10.2. We hope to have this issue, among others, resolved at that time. We apologize for any inconveniences you are experiencing.

Archived