Retrospect server 6.1 won't back up SAS disks in Intel Xserve

We have been using Retrospect server 6.1 successfully on a G5 Xserve to back up a number of PPC and Intel OS X clients as well as additional G5 Xserves.

Recently we added an Intel Xserve with the following configuration, 1 SATA disk and 2 mirrored SAS disks.

If I try to do an immediate back up of this server with both of these volumes Retrospect gives the error 'Error!!! Scanning incomplete, error 519 (network communication failed)' If I try to back this Xserve up as part of a script it never completes and just carries on repeating 'Net Retry....'

If I configure the client to just back up the 1 SATA disk it backs up quite happily, so I'm fairly sure it's not actually a network communication failure, but rather a failure to talk to this volume.

At least one of our other G5 Xserves has mirrored SATA disks which cause no problems so I suspect that it is to do with the SAS disks. Is this a known problem and what can I do about it?

thanks for any help

Clare

We have answered our own question:

After some playing around it transpires that Retrospect 6.1 will not back up any SAS disks in an Intel Xserve if ACLs are turned on. (It is irrelevant whether it is single disks or they are mirrored or striped). There is no problem with having ACLs turned on on the older SATA disks. Using the latest client 6.1.130 the daemon crashes as soon as it tries to backup the volume resulting in the error 519 (network communication failed).

Are tech support reading this? or is there some other way to report this to EMCinsignia?

I am not going to pay for a 'support incident' to register a short-coming in their software.

Clare

Your diagnosis is a little bit off, but close. This problem has been known for some time and a workaround has been available for months:

Retrospect and ACLs on Intel Macs

Quote:

Are tech support reading this?

This is a user-to-user support forum. Read the forum FAQ:

Welcome to the Forum

Quote:

or is there some other way to report this to EMCinsignia?

Yes.

Contact Retrospect Support

Quote:

I am not going to pay for a 'support incident' to register a short-coming in their software.

You can stomp your little feet if you want, but that's not going to get the problem fixed. No piece of complex software is perfect, and Retrospect is no exception.

Candidly, if you have an Xserve and your business depends on it, you should purchase the Retrospect support/maintenance contract, just as you should for every major piece of software that you run on your Xserve. Don't you have the Apple Server Maintenance contract and Apple Software Maintenance on your Xserve? This is no different. Your business depends on the tools you use, and good support costs money. We have been very satisfied with our Retrospect support contract.

Now, there are some bug fixes and enhancements for which we have been waiting a long time for Retrospect to have and which we badly need, but that's a different issue.....

Russ