How are you supposed to move a disk-based Backup Set?

haggis999

I have created a new Retrospect 7.0 Backup Set on the F: drive in my PC (it's a temporary solution for merging together several Snapshots from external hard disks). Due to finger trouble, I accidentally created my new Retrospect folder as a subfolder of a folder unrelated to backup purposes. I subsequently moved the Retrospect folder to its intended location on the root of the F: drive. The full path of the folder containing the RDB files is now,

F:\Retrospect\Dell 670 Backup #1\1-Dell 670 Backup #1\

Previously, it had been,

F:\Config.Msi\Retrospect\Dell 670 Backup #1\1-Dell 670 Backup #1\

I then went to Configure/Backup Sets, selected the relevant BS and clicked on Properties. Under the Members tab I clicked on another Properties button and this gave me an opportunity to change the 'Location for the backup data folder'. For some unfathomable reason, Retrospect would not let me choose my top level F:\Retrospect\ folder, but it was happy to accept the simple drive letter F:\.

I then ran a backup job to this newly moved BS and it ran without error. Because of previous problems with this BS (reported in other recent posts), I then decided to run a Verify Media test. However, this process generated loads of errors (during an initial Resynchronising process, whatever that might be), as shown in the attached log. As you can see, Retrospect was still using the old path. How do I fix this? I stopped the Resynchronising process. Should I have let it continue? What was the proper way to have changed the location of the Backup Set?

BTW, this log refers, in a very illiterate fashion, to reading TO a file! You can WRITE TO a file. You can READ FROM a file. READ TO is just meaningless, but then I'm used to that with Retrospect error messages....

David

===================VERIFY LOG========================

+ Executing Verify at 09/02/2007 16:24

To Backup Set Dell 670 Backup #1...

Additional error information for Disk Backup Set member "1-Dell 670 Backup #1",

Can't read to file F:\Config.Msi\Retrospect\Dell 670 Backup #1\1-Dell 670 Backup #1\AA000000.rdb, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Trouble reading: "1-Dell 670 Backup #1" (0), error -102 (trouble communicating)

Can't read to file F:\Config.Msi\Retrospect\Dell 670 Backup #1\1-Dell 670 Backup #1\AA000000.rdb, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Trouble reading: "1-Dell 670 Backup #1" (1), error -102 (trouble communicating)

Trouble reading: "1-Dell 670 Backup #1" (2), error -102 (trouble communicating)

etc, etc

Using 'Repair Catalog' to rebuild the catalogue from the Backup Set has fixed my problem. The 'Verify Media' process has now successfully checked all the files on this Backup Set. However, I would still like to know how I am supposed to move a disk-based Backup Set (ideally in a way that does not require a time-consuming catalogue rebuild).