Format inconsistency errors and backup set name length limitations

haggis999

I am nearing the completion of transferring three snapshots from an existing backup set to a new backup set. Each one of the snapshots has generated a lot of 'Backup Set format inconsistency' errors (1008 errors so far). Needless to say, neither the Retrospect Professional 7.0 online help nor the User's Guide contains anything about such errors...

Can anyone please explain what such errors mean, what might have caused them and how they could be eradicated?

When I created the new Backup Set, I was prevented from entering a name longer than 20 characters. This limitation does not appear to be documented and I am puzzled as to how I managed to name a couple of older backup sets with 21 character names. Has this limitation only been applied in a recent update to Version 7? I'm currently on 7.0.326.

David

======sample of error messages========

Backup Set format inconsistency (10 at 3260425)

Backup Set format inconsistency (10 at 3261498)

Backup Set format inconsistency (10 at 3261512)

Backup Set format inconsistency (10 at 3261526)

Backup Set format inconsistency (10 at 3261537)

Backup Set format inconsistency (10 at 3261538)

Backup Set format inconsistency (10 at 3280957)

Backup Set format inconsistency (10 at 3281021)

etc, etc

• 1 month later...

I encountered these errors with the latest version. I first saw the error in a Groom Log and now in a Verify Media log after having done a Catalog Rebuild from Disk.

I am extremely concerned at this point because all the snapshots of my boot drive are missing, yet when I look at the sessions the drive shows up. This tells me the data is still in the backup data base, but without a valid snapshot I will not be able to do a restore. mad.gif