When backing up entire computer, backup drive backs up itself

steven.rhinehart

Hello all

I'm running Express HD with a Maxtor OneTouch II drive. I've set it up so that the entire computer is backed up, and this works very well. One little thing puzzles me, though: Both my (only) harddrive on the computer and the backup target drive are backed up.

I can't find any settings related to this. Does anybody know how to only back up the computer's harddrive?

Best,

- steven

Thanks. My concern is, though, that I want to be able to restore the entire system after a potential crash - I should have been clearer about this in my first post.

In order to only back up drive C I would have to choose the option "let me choose specific files and folders", and according to the documentation, a full system restore can only be performed if the entire computer has been selected for backup. The documentation clearly states this under the explanation of the different backup methods, here quoted from the description of "My entire computer":

Quote:

In order to restore your entire computer after a disaster (hard disk failure, for example) you must choose this option.

Am I getting this wrong - would a full system restore still be possible even if only drive C has been backed up using the 'specific files and folders'-method?

Best,

- steven

Are you both (Steven and Tomas) sure about that? See "Setting the Backup Source" in the Users Guide, select the C: volume (drive) rather than the computer.

Quote:

But, why is the backup drive itself backed up?

Because you have the computer (and all attached drives) selected as the source, not specific drives.

Russ

I overlooked this, too. Thanks for the info. Also, I found this in the documentation under 'Disaster recovery':

Quote:

If disaster strikes and your system software is damaged or erased, you can use Retrospect Express HD to help get your computer up and running again, provided that you backed up your entire boot drive (usually C:\),
either by selecting it directly, or by selecting "My entire computer"

(italics by me)

Nothing to get wrong there. Guess I should've seen that before posting..

Best, and thanks again,

- steven

No need to apologize. We've all been there at one time. The Retrospect interface seems "obvious" to us old timers, but, candidly, it has a very steep learning curve. The problem is, if the interface were ever to be made "obvious", then us old-timers would be confused because we have learned the quirks of the present interface.

Glad you are up and going. Now you can experience real problems. (grin)

russ

Archived