Question about disaster recovery..

Pilaar39

Hopefully, I will never have to use it, but just in case...

I recently completed my first complete system backup and at the end, I was offered a choice to create a disaster recovery boot CD. This CD needed my Windows OS install CD to complete this process, and it appeared that it copied most of the CD to the new DR CD.

So, now I am wondering exactly how this DR CD works.. does it reinstall the OS and then grab the backup set and restore my system exactly as it was? My reason for asking is that since the backup set contains the OS, why did I need to copy all my OS files onto it from the original install CD?

The OS files on the DR CD are to provide the necessary OS and Retro function so that the files on the backup set can be fully restored to the system drive.

The files on the backup set are not organized to boot as an OS. They are just a bucket of files with information on where to put them.

Make sense?

yes, and no...

I guess what I understood was that the backup set, being a complete system backup, should contain the OS as well as all applications and data.. essentially a disk image, but not a mirror image, but rather like you say, a bucket of files and info on where they belong on the HD.

If the complete drive is backed up, I would imagine that all that would be needed would be a boot disk that had enought code to move all the data, including OS, back to the HD.

It sounds like the same function could be achieved by reloading the OS from the windows install disk, then installing Retrospect, then restoring the drive from the backup set.

What is the advantage of a distinct Retrospect disaster recovery disk?

You're correct. Instead of using the DR CD you can reload the OS, load Retro and restore.

The advantage of the DR CD is the whole process takes less time. From starting to boot the DR CD to the start of the backup restore is ~ 5 minutes vs 20 mins for full OS/full Retro [at least on my machine]

Thanks for the response..

Is the whole process automatic and transparent? ie, after booting the DR CD, does it automatically get the backup set and reload it? Or are there prompts, and does the user need to supply information.. like the location of the backup set, which set to use, etc?

Quote:

Thanks for the response..

Is the whole process automatic and transparent? ie, after booting the DR CD, does it automatically get the backup set and reload it? Or are there prompts, and does the user need to supply information.. like the location of the backup set, which set to use, etc?

Time to read the manual.

Archived