Recreate Catalog hangs

tsajtos

I'm using Retrospect 7.5, my HDD crashed and booting from the recovery CD fails.

The catalog file was stored on the crashed CD (I think it's stupid that that's the default but whatever) so I was trying to recreate it but it hangs at the same file, exactly at 20GB. It stops retrieving data and just blinking betwen "Please wait..." and "Executing recreate...".

I tried Disc Doctor on the backup set and it did not find any error. The Validation also passed.

Is there any utility that I can use to recover my data???

Yes, I booted into the Basic Retrospect environment but it saif "Failed to open Backup Set A catalog file.." so I proceeded with the minimal OS install and tried to recreate the catalog file.

The one on the CD is corrupted and can't be recovered.

Thanks!

Do you have a Windows install CD? If so, you could try installing Windows first [upgrading to the same service pack as when the Retro backup set was created]; install Retro and then do a full restore.

Again, where is the backup set? On a hard drive or DVD/CD? Is it a file backup or 'disk' backup set?

In terms of recovering your data, if it's in a Retro backup set, only Retro can read/restore it.

Not sure what's going on.

I'd want to do a Media verification from a full version of Retro in a full version of XP.

Just to be safe, I'd do the Windows install from an XP install disk. Then install Retro. For now, forget the DR CD.

If the media verifies and the restore still fails, I'd call tech support.

It's a little worrying that there's been no other posts to your question. There's several other users who are quite knowledgeable. If they aren't posting.........

• 3 months later...

Just as an update:

I had to manually delete some RDB file to get the catalog file to complete, whic of course resulted in some data loss...

It's really weird that Retrospect stores the catalog file by default on the same location which you're trying to recover... What were they smokeing when they created this software???

Quote:

It's really weird that Retrospect stores the catalog file by default on the same location which you're trying to recover... What were they smokeing when they created this software???

By default Retrospect stores the catalog files in your My Documents folder. A copy of the catalog file is appended to the end of media (room permitting) to allow you to recatalog starting from the most recent disc - but this is _not_ the catalog used for every day operations.

Archived