Device rejected command

I have two problems with Retrospect at the moment.

1. Latest version of Retrospect running latest driver on Intel Dual Core macintosh.

I cant get it to configure the internal Sony DW-D150A (Apple version) Optical Drive to read and backup to dvd-r. I get a media ("not compatable" error)I have changed the media to at least 3 different brands. This drive is listed as being supported in the last driver update. I can read and burn to disks using the OSX system so the problem is not the drive or the media. Is anyone familiar with this problem.

2. On another macintosh. An Xserve powerpc. I have another licensed copy of retrospect and it is latest update and driver update also. This machine has an external LaCie drive attached which is also listed as being supported. It will read my old disks (dvd-r) and retrieve from them but will not burn to new disks. Retrospect crashes when I try to configure the drive.

I have removed the drive and connected it to a different macintosh and I can burn dvds using the OSX system so the cables/drive are not the problem. Can anyone shed some light on the above problems?

Quote:

1. Latest version of Retrospect running latest driver on Intel Dual Core macintosh.

What version of Retrospect, and what Retrospect RDU? Launch Retrospect, this information should be provided in the log file at the very end. And what Mac OS version?

To you it may be obvious what the "latest" version of the software is, but to those other users who, months from now, search the forums to see if their issues have been previously addressed, the software versions that you were using at the time will not be clear. And there are cases where people believe that they have the "latest" version of software, but who don't. Those of us other users who take the time to try to answer your questions on these forums do so not just for your benefit, but for the benefit of all Retrospect users. Please provide this information.

Quote:

I cant get it to configure the internal Sony DW-D150A (Apple version) Optical Drive

Have you done a custom configuration that might be overriding the support in the current (?) RDU? If so, quit Retrospect, drag your .rdi file to the desktop, try again.

Quote:

2. On another macintosh. An Xserve powerpc. I have another licensed copy of retrospect and it is latest update and driver update also.

Again, please provide version of Retrospect, RDU, Mac OS Server version, and which Xserve you have. And you really should start a new thread for this second problem because it is not the same problem as #1, above.

Quote:

This machine has an external LaCie drive attached which is also listed as being supported.

And what drive and type of drive would that be? What type of interface? (SCSI, Firewire 400, Firewire 800, etc. ?) If SCSI, what type of HBA card is used, and firmware and driver versions for that card?

Quote:

Can anyone shed some light on the above problems?

Not without some facts. See above.

Russ

Mac is OSX10.4.8

2x2.66 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Product:DVD RW DW-D150A

Version 1.MD

Driver Sony DVD DL (5.12)

The Drive is an internal macintosh drive. Its not SCSI.

Running Retrospect version 6.1.126

Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.9.102

I have tried the custom configuration and also tried removing the ".rdi" file.

When I try to run a custom configuration I am getting a message saying (could not configure drive with the inserted dvd-r media. Would you like to try again with a different media type?). I have tried a few different brands of dvd-r but same problem. The drive will write to any of these media directly from OSX (not using retrospect.)

I will post the problem server details in a different thread.

Thanks for the info. I'm stumped.

(1) Yes, the release notes for RDU 6.1.9.102 list the Soniy DW-D150A optical drive as supported:

Release Notes for RDU 6.1.9.102

Odd that it's not in the list of supported devices:

Retrospect supported devices

(2) if it's in the supported device list, you should not neet to do custom configure, and it should work better without the custom configure .rdi file.

(3) without being listed in the list of supported devices, I can't tell what media is supported on it.

I'm stumped. You seem to be doing everything right.

Russ

Hi,

It looks like the supported devices list hasn't been updated yet but most likely the Retrospect driver for the Sony DW-D150A doesn't support DVD-R since it is reporting as "not compatible" (even though the drive itself may support DVD-R).

I would recommend using DVD+R media instead of DVD-R anyways as it is better suited for packet-writing which is the method Retrospect uses to write to optical media.