Space free on disk backup doesnt match free on volume

benher

I have a disk backup set.

It is on a Windows 2000 server partition.

This partition is 20Gig in size.

There is no norton or operating system "reserved" space or restore points or such.

I have run disk repair just to be sure there were no errors.

Currently windows explorer and 'chkdsk' from command window both show 11.5 Gig free on this partition.

There are some files in the root directory comprising 681MB of space.

The only other item on this partition is the disk backup folders for the disk backup set.

There is only 1 member of this disk backup set and it is located on the partition in question.

When looking in retrospect at the "backup set" window and the specific disk backup set and the

member information tab...the one member shows 4.7Gig free.

When looking at the properties for this member I see the following information.

------------------

Type: local volume

File System: NTFS

Used: 8.6 G

Free: 11.5 G

Total: 20.1 G

Use at most: [ 20 ] G or [ 100 ] percent

Location for backup data folder:

[ P:\ ]

------------------

Why..oh why then...if there is 11.5Gig free, and retrospect can figure this out on this properties

dialog does it also report that only 4.7Gig is free under the members tab?

Note: The program really does believe there is only 4.7Gig usable as when I tried to backup about 5Gig of new data to this backup set...retrospect prompted me for a location to put the "2-nnnnn" member.

Version Info: 7.5.324 -- Hot fix: 7.5.9.102

Windows 2000 server 5.00.2195 - Service Pack 4

Simple solution (sorry I have no idea why this works): go back into the properties for the member and change the use at most to 95%. You don't want to fill the partition anyway since you may run into minor issues grooming it later.

When you click OK and go back to member info it should show the correct free space.

Tried that...didn't work...looked around some more.

On the first information tab for the backup set the system believes it has

-----

Used: 15.4 G for 60 files

Available: 3.7 G

Storage: 1 member in use, 41 sessions, 11 snapshots

--------

However the actual files within the '1-nnnnnn' folder of this partition are

43 files comprising 7.81 G

(The 43 vs 60 is unimportant, I know, as the system can store multiple backed up files within a given retrospect file)

Some of the files within this backup set might have been stored with retrospect compression turned on. All current scripts/proactive that backup to this set do not currently use compression. So the actual expanded size of all files might really be 15.4 G, however this should not affect how much physical disk capacity it is willing to use for a backup set.

Archived