Files forgotten on Stop Execution?

SeanSeanSean

I am trying out Retrospect Pro 7.5.324 with driver update and hot fix 7.5.9.012 on Windows XP SP2. Retrospect forgets that I have backed up files if I stop execution in the middle of a backup. I thought that Retrospect would remember which files are backed up!

I perform an Immediate Backup from a local volume to a Disk Backup Set for about 10GB. I stop the backup from the Activity Monitor > Executing panel, using the "Stop..." button. Thus I get something like:

Quote:

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 1/9/2007 12:41 AM

To Backup Set BSA...

- 1/9/2007 12:41:58 AM: Copying DataVolume on SomeDriveDrive (F:)

1/9/2007 12:56:21 AM: Execution stopped by operator

Remaining: 4097 files, 11.3 GB

Completed: 753 files, 2.0 GB, with 0% compression

Performance: 142.5 MB/minute

Duration: 00:14:22 (00:00:22 idle/loading/preparing)

If I try to restore a snapshot, the snapshot appears with the correct files to restore (up to the point that I canceled the backup), and the files restore correctly. However, if I try to perform another backup, I do not see any diamond icons next to the already backed up files. The new backup definitely backs up the files again--the resulting disk backup set grows with extra copies of the files.

I also tried to update the catalog file, and to recreate the catalog file. Those options did not work.

Is this a known issue? How can I work around it?

For a little while, I thought that Retrospect mysteriously started working correctly (that is, remembering all backed up files when stopped in the middle). However, it looks like it is back to its old ways. Some files do, in fact, appear with the diamond icon on a subsequent backup, but definitely not all of the files that are supposed to have the diamond icon.

I am trying to rebuild the catalog file from the last disk member...maybe that will refresh everything.

Does anyone know where Retrospect stores the catalog file in the various .rdb files on a disk? Could it be that Retrospect saves the latest catalog (including backed up files) at the BEGINNING of the following disk member, and would that have any consequences? All I know is that the first .rdb file on each member of a multi-member backup appears to be considerably smaller than 600MB.

Archived