File selection when creating backup for new customer installation.

igavin

It would be really good to be able to browse and tick a box to select/deselect files to be included or excluded when creating selectors. Even better would be a system like Backup Exec's - by default any new folders are included unless they are explicitly excluded. I find Retrospect to be a really excellent product, but I find the whole system of creating volumes and selectors time consuming and frustrating. Selectors can be really useful, but when I have installed Retrospect on a customer site I find it takes too much time to trim the backup using volumes and selectors.

Regards, Ian Gavin

igavin@ionet.ie

IONET Ltd.

(Retrospect re-seller)

Yes, I agree, the checkbox-driven file selecting feature would be a simple, but great feature in some problematic cases.

It's available in other products than EMC's I used over the time, but it's realy missing here in Retrospect.

For example, on a multi-server backup, backing-up everything, but on one server excluding a few things (huge temporary files or directory, as generated for example in some anti-spam solutions), i.e. including a whole volume in the backup but without one or a few file(s) or sub-directory(ies).

The only way to do it with Retrospect is, I think (not tested) using those regex-like filters (or "selectors" or "include/exclude", I don't remember), and enter fullpath-like regex in inclusions or exclusions filters. It would be quiet a bit complicated, but should work.

The only problem is : such filters are applied to the whole backup task/script, not only on one volume or on client... mad.gif

Quote:

The only problem is : such filters are applied to the whole backup task/script, not only on one volume or on client...

I think you are wrong on this. "Name (Backup Client)" can be one of the conditions in a selector, and "Name (Volume)" can also be a condition in a selector. It's not pretty, but it can be done. We do it on our Retrospect Mac Workgroup Server, and I checked, and that feature is available on the Windows version, too. At least in the Retrospect 6.5 Users Guide (see page 207), so I assume it's in the later versions, too.

Retrospect 6.5 Users Guide

Russ