Error 100 (Device rejected command)

I use Retrospect 6.1.126 on Mac OS X 10.4.8 on a G5. Installed the driver update 6.1.9.102, however, Retrospect still shows version 6.1.6.100. (See my previous post about this.) As a backup device I use the internal Sony DVD RW DW-U21A.

I was in the middle of a long archiving session when I got the following error in the log:

- 16.12.2006 9:00:35 Uhr: Kopieren von Jobs Archiv auf DatenG5…

Geräteprobleme: "38-Jobs Archiv", Fehler 100 (Gerät hat Befehl zurückgewiesen).

In English this means something like: Device problems, Error 100 (Device has rejected a command)

As I did not have enough DVDs I had bought 10 new ones: Sony DVD-R 120 min/4.7 GB, Ver.2.1/1X-16X. None of the new ones seem to work - I tried four of them. However, the discs mount just fine in Finder.

The old ones were Sony DVD-R 120 min/4.7 GB, Ver.2.0/1X-8X. They look completely the same, the 16X is only in fine print, so I did not see it.

I tried to configure the device but that froze Retrospect during "Check writing method". :-(

So what might be the reason for this? Can it really be that the newer version of Sony's DVD-R media is not supported? Is there a way to find that out? I did not see anything about supported media in the device database?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bernhard

Archived