How much patience?

Well, looks like I fell into the most common mistake. I didn't explicity ask whether Retrospect supports my drive (QPS Que 24x10x40). Stupid me, happy Dantz.

It looks like, from this forum, that it's been some 9 months, and there's no indication that this drive may ever be supported. So, my question is: how long should I wait before selling my now un-returnable software?

Laura Hensey

This drive is in testing, still. Although we are trying hard to qualify it, please understand that not all drives will be qualified, and of those that are, some take a while. Yes it's frustrating. That's why we recommend that you check the compatibility list before making a purchase that may not immediately, or possibly ever, suit your backup needs.

If we encouter a problem in the testing process that requires us to rewrite a driver, that can increase the time it takes for a device to be supported.

If we run into a problem and we need to work with the vendor of the drive to help them implement standard packet-writing commands better and/or to write and release drivers, that can increase the time it takes for a device to be supported.

If a company switches out the mechanism of a drive or changes the specs without telling us, it needs to be requalified from scratch, which means one incarnation of a drive may be supported well before others.

We are continually adding device support. Please keep an eye on the Device Search Engine.

www.dantz.com/hardware

I'm sorry I've asked a question you've had to answer before. You must be tired of pasting in the same reply in various places throughout the forum.

May I offer something of a suggestion? I checked the database a number of times, hoping that I was just missing something. You (or another representative) have posted that the database is updated about once a month. Would it be all that much trouble for that page to state the most recent update date? I presume that including a 'most recent additions' list would be too much to expect.

Keeping an eye on the database is the only thing I can do, so it'd be nice to know up front whether there's much chance of finding something helpful.

Yours,

Laura Hensey

Laura -

That is a very good suggestion, thank you. Our online search engine is actually repopulated nightly with the current information from our internal databases. You may have read information about Retrospect Driver Update files (RDU's) which we try to post as often as possible. This generally doesn't happen more then once a month.

While the majority of drives that become qualified require the use of new RDU files, occasionally a drive will pass testing with a driver that has already been released, or one that is already built into the program. So, support for these drives could become available at any time without waiting for a driver release.

Hope this helps.

Archived