Hey All -

I've been using Retrospect for a few years now, without incidents, but that changed around a month ago. The only things that might have changed since the problems are a possible OS upgrade and the addition of a DVD burner via firewire. Currently, I'll be running Retrospect, and somewhere along the backup it will eventually crash and give me message that I have to power down my Mac (The faded black screen).

Here's the particulars of my environment:

- Retrospect 5.0.238

- OS X 10.4.8

- Power Mac G5

- VXA-1 tape drive firewire

- Backing up my G5 and two others via network

If I need to supply additional information, please let me know. I'm not an IT person, so sometimes I might not be giving all the information that I should.

Thanks for any help/suggestions. (I thought an Retrospect upgrade might be the fix, but I wanted to wait to see what the forum thinks. I searched the threads, but haven't found a case like this yet.)

-

Chris

Quote:

The only things that might have changed since the problems are a possible OS upgrade and the addition of a DVD burner via firewire.

The important question is what was changed _before_ the problems, or at the same time.

Kernel panics are generally hardware (or hardware driver) related. Retrospect alone is not likely to cause such a crash.

- If you're using the same FW tape drive as before, try disconnecting anything else on the FW chain, and anything other then keyboard/mouse on USB chain.

- Have you upgraded memory on the G5?