Restore entire disk not deleting files

markauk

I am having serious problems trying to do a complete restore of my laptop. Here's the situation:-

* a few months ago after rebuilding the laptop and installing a few key apps, I did a complete backup. I am backing up/restoring over LAN to a XP desktop running Pro 7.5 with latest updates.

* now I want to revert back to that freshly built state, so I do a total backup (to make sure I don't loose any documents)

* next I do a complete restore telling retrospect to "retore entire volume", ie "replacing all contents", and make sure restore system state is turned on

* I run the restore, reboot the laptop twice as instructed, and find that a whole bunch of files which were on the 'dirty' laptop, but not the fresh build are still there - documents, program files...

* I repeat the process (but this time using advanced options rather than the wizard), and find that more files have been deleted, but lots are still there.

Isn't "restore entire volume" meant to revert it to exactly the same state as the snapshot you are restoring? Other info:

* once I have a properly restored fresh drive, the plan was then to restore all documents from the backup I did immediately prior to the restore.

* My laptop is using NTFS, but file permissions are just the default.

* retrospect only reports a couple of errors after the restore (can't restore a couple of .NET related files)

File "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\enterprisesec.config.cch": can't write, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\security.config.cch": can't write, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

Not overly reassuring, but not something that looks particularly worrying. There's nothing in the log suggesting that files couldn't be deleted.

Am I misunderstanding what restore volume does, or doing something wrong? Or is this a bug/feature?

Any pointers/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

mark.

Archived