Pioneer DVD-RW A03

I have the A03 drive and have noticed that Retrospect appears to work just fine as long as the CD or DVD media that you need for the backup is present in the drive before the backup is started. If you get to a point in the backup where you need to put in a new CD-R disc, for example, and you do that, Retrospect hangs while attempting to write the first of the next set of files that need to be backed up to that new disc. If you stop the operation at that point, however, insert the new media, and then restart the backup, it will pick back up where it left off and use the new media just fine as the next one in that set.

I am running on Win XP using the latest driver update - I have also noticed that this drive puts out an error message under the first scenario in the system event log.

I don't believe this drive is on the certified list - but I was wondering if Dantz was aware of these problems and if there were any plans to fix this in an upcoming driver update?

Thanks.

Hi, I've seen the hang problem on the HP 200i DVD drive. My current view is that Retrospect has some fragile code in its interface to the driver for these drives. It does not seem to recover from internal problems in situations like you describe. I would at least like to see some error/diagnostic information rather than just hang forever.

My 2 cents :-) Rich 7-1

• 2 weeks later...

Archived