Reliability of Recreating Catalog ?

repter

I am trying to do a full restore of my latest backup after my PC went up in smoke, including all devices. As a result, I had to recreate the catalogs of my backup. This went reasonably well, except for :

1. I have a serious suspicion that it did not find all backup sets/snapshots. The latest one it finds is from July 22, while I'm almost certain that I did a backup more recently than that.

2. I wonder if Retrospect can be confused with recycled DVDs. I have 15 DVDs, but in fact, after recycling, I was still at DVD 13. Obviously 14 and 15 also still contain Retrospect data from before the recycle.

Problem solved.

Turned out that after the recycle, that backup setwas still only at DVD 10, not 13. By recreating from disk 13, I therefore got a set of sessions from before the recycle.

I found out by just starting at a low numbered DVD and there I already noticed that after recreate the timestamps were already more recent. Then kept on recreating increasing the DVD number until I indeed got the more recent backups, and then one more DVD which indeed was showing older backups.

I guess there is no other way to know which DVD is the true 'last' disk in a set...

Archived