Slow desktop after full restore to new G4

I did a full restore from an old G4 9.2.2. (400 MHz) to a new one running 9.2.2 (933 Mhz with OS X installed but not running) into a new folder. I renamed the new Mac's system folder to something else and pulled the complete contents of the backup out into the root. I moved the copied desktop content onto the new desktop. I set the copied system folder to be the new startup system and restarted the computer. Everything works except that now the desktop files and folder redraws are slower than a Mac SE. What have I done wrong?

It would be nice to have a step by step procedure for doing a complete transfer from an old machine to a new one (without disturbing the OS X installation on the new one).

Tnx Amy,

I forgot to mention that I had tried rebuilding the desktop - but it didn't help. I also reinstalled OS 9.2.2 over the restored (transferred) OS. That didn't help either.

I'm not sure what to try next.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Try checking the drive with a disk utility, such as Norton or TechTools.

Using a system folder from an old computer may not always run properly on a new computer. There can be major hardware changes that the old system folder cannot accomodate. For example, if the new system has Firewire, but the old system did not, needed components would be missing on the new computer.

Make sure you have all the latest software updates.

Archived