Only Tape Drive not Autoloader seen by Retrospect

Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise

Adaptec 39320A Ultra320 SCSI Adapter

Dell PowerVault 124T LTO 3 Autoloader

When I installed Retro 7.5 Multi-Server, the tape drive and the autoloader showed up in retro as devices and were connected. I set up a backup set, could see the tapes in the slots, barcodes, etc.

I could commence a backup and it would run. Unfortunately, it would vary wildly in speed but would keep "sticking" on various files and delivered an overall 10MB/s - less than 10% of what I expect from this set-up.

I shut everything down and headed off to track down the SCSI configuration problem that was causing the poor performance.

The next time I start everything up, the tape drive is still there and bold in Retro devices, and the autoloader is listed too, but is not bold and is not associated with the tape drive.

The changer and drive are both functioning normally in Device Manager. The 124T is a single ID, two LUN set-up.

The environment tab says

2:6:0 IBM Ultrium-TD3 5BG2 IBM Ultrium 3 DC (1.41)

2:6:1 DELL PV-124T 0031

Apart from Retro, there are _no_ other apps installed on this server - it's just disks and backup atm.

I've tried rebooting, etc, checked the cables.

ASPI isn't installed - I'm using NT passthrough. All the hardware is brand new with the latest drivers.

How can I get my loader back?

Thanks,

Andrew.

P.S. If I try and backup after manually loading the tape, Retro writes a 100Mb or so to the tape and then the loader pulls it out and files it! Retro keeps asking for the tape, and you can keep on loading it, it gets removed, and so on.

OK - I've now spent 8 hours on this. I read through scads of posts here and then disabled both the Media Changer and Tape Drive drivers in Device Manager.

Shazam!

Library appeared again and throughput is around a Gig per minute. A little slow, but I can do some tweaking.

Nothing to see here - move along!

smile.gif