CDR Locked message...

I started getting the message "The disk is write protected. Please unlock and try again." when attempting subsequent backups to all my CDR backup sets on my Yamaha 4416 Drive. The only option is to eject the disk and reinsert it but I still get the same messge. It also says "damaged disk" This has been consistanty happening on all disks at differrent points even though I've used this drive and disks successfully for over a year previously. I've tried creating new sets and the initial backup is always successfull. I even tried moving the drive to a different Mac, no luck. Anyone heard of this one? Using OS 8.6, Retrospect 4.3

Thanks

While in Retrospect, go to Configure > Devices > Device Status. Look at the version for your CD drive - is it 1.0j or higher? If not, upgrade your firmware through Yamaha.

Dantz Development has discovered a problem with version "1.0h" in the Yamaha 4416 CD-RW firmware. Firmware version "1.0h" can cause the Yamaha 4416 CD-RW drive to report -100 (device rejected command) during backup. Yamaha is aware of this issue and has fixed the problem with firmware revision "1.0j" or later.

If your firmware is up to date, please follow the below troubleshooting:

1. Try multiple CD-R disks. Make sure the disk is new and does not contain previous data. Make sure the disks are not previously formatted with other CD-R software.

2. Try a different brand of media

3. Look for device communication problems (bad device cable, incorrect termination)

Thanks for the info, excellent advice. My firmware was old but updating unfortunately didn't help nor did disabling 3rd party extensions. It's funny, sometimes a good disk will come up as locked/damaged and then after ejecting and reinserting it will come up as "ready" with no problem. It's hard to nail this one down because there's no consistency to when it wants to act up. I'm going to swap out the SCSI cable and media next. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a Yamaha 4260-series drive with version j firmware (Mac OS 8.6, Retrospect 4.0 and 4.3) and have experienced some similar problems both with Retrospect and Toast. I think these drives have some internal flaws which cause intermittant errors--either actual hardware malfunctions or something software-related.

I am posting a new message about a problem I just started having which sounds quite similar. I simply want to verify my suspicion that the drive is at fault...

-- Eric

Hi Eric,

I still haven't been able to nail anything specific down about this issue. But the fact that I've been using this particular drive for a couple of years now makes me think that maybe the drive is just dying a slow death. Up until now it has performed flawlessly. Media was never an issue nor the Mac is was connected to.

SB

My 4260 has always been just a little flaky. I attribute this partly to crappy fans in the enclosure which may have allowed the drive to overheat at some point. Those have since been replaced. It generally works fine, but sometimes refuses to burn a disc using Toast, in addition to the problems I have recently had with Retrospect.

I am considering just replacing it; these things are so cheap now!

-- Eric

Archived