Problem with Retrospect Express 5.6

I have a new Seagate tape backup that shipped with Retro Express v. 5.6.123. I have never gotten a good backup from it. I get the same errors every time. First I get the MapError: Unknown windows error 23. Then get "Can't read data, BackupRead Failed, C:\winnnt\Driver Cach\i386\driver.cab: can't read, error -1001". Also get error -205.

I've reinstalled the software and the drivers. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

What is the USB-2 Seagate drive? Are you using it with a computer with onboard USB 2.0 (integrated on the motherboard - not a seperate USB 2.0 card)? All newer Dells, for example, come with onboard USB 2.0.

Dantz Development is currently aware of an issue that exists with the MS default PCI to USB Enhanced Controller drivers under Windows 2000 and Windows XP. This will only effect users who are using PC’s with native USB 2.0 controllers built-in. It does not affect 3rd party USB 2.0 cards. Currently at this time there is not a solution for Windows 2000, users. Users running this drive under Windows 2000 must either use USB 1.0 speeds (contact your PC vendor for documentation on how to disable high-speed USB 2.0 on your PC);or purchase a 3rd party USB 2.0 controller card. Users running XP must upgrade to SP1. If you are still experiencing hangs or device errors after upgrading to Windows XP, SP1 please refer to the following Microsoft KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329632 for more information. Seagate and Microsoft are also aware of this issue.

Note: If you are hooking this drive up to Windows ME, before hooking up the drive you must install to Windows ME plug and play updates. They can be found at:

1. http://download.microsoft.com/download/winme/Update/22940/WinMe/EN-US/314757USAM.EXE

2. http://download.microsoft.com/download/winme/Update/21388/WinMe/EN-US/311311USAM.EXE

***If you are using this drive with Retrospect 6.0xxx you must use Retrospect Driver Update (RDU) 3.3.105 or higher

If none of these issues apply to you, see the following for relevant troubleshooting:

The tape drive then reports error 205 when Retrospect loses and attempts to resume communications with the tape drive. This error always indicates a hardware problem. In fact, this error is often preceded by error 102's and can often be corrected through troubleshooting.

All 200 series errors are generated by the tape drive itself, and can actually be caused by something other than what the printed error text indicates.

With a 200- series error, the first thing you want to try is a new tape. If the new tape works, then the tape you are seeing the error with is bad. If you see the error on all tapes, you can look into the following possibilities:

1) a dirty tape drive. Clean the drive with a cleaning cartridge. Most manufacturers recommend cleaning the unit once for every 8-10 hours of run time. Once a week is often enough for most people.

2) another device may be interfering with the tape drive's communication. Make sure the drive is plugged directly into the computer and not routed through a hub.

3) you have a bad cable. Replace the cable that connects the tape drive to the computer after removing other devices and cables.

4) the computer may be having a problem. Install Retrospect on another computer and try the tape drive there as the lone device.

5) the drive may be defective. If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on multiple tapes after changing cables, terminators and computers, then the drive, being the only factor that has not changed, is the culprit--send it back to your vendor for repairs.