script wont run

I am using Retrospect Backup on a IBM 300GL running Windows NT 4. I want to back up to an external Iomega Zip drive. I have created a daily script to rewrite the saveset (recycle) back onto the same Zip cartridge daily. It goes thru the motions just fine, but needs user intervention (but it shouldn't!).

The problem specifically is that when the script is initiated, either automatically or manually, it reaches a point where it briefly says 'no removable disks found' (even tho the cartridge is in the e: drive), and then prompts for 'Please select a new disk'. It then finds the device (e:) and even highlights the cartridge name below it, but will not use it until someone manually clicks the 'Proceed' button.

How can I get it to proceed all by itself please ??

I have already gone thru the motions of reloading software, reinitializing the cartridge, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help !!!

Make sure you have the newest drivers from Iomega downloaded and installed. Make sure the Zip drive is isolated (not on a chain with other devices) and plugged directly into the computer (not on a hub). Try connecting the drive to the computer with a different cable. Try the drive on another computer with Retrospect.

There is a delay in the communication process when the computer is telling Retrospect that a removable device is available. If Retrospect does not detect that a drive is immediately available, Retrospect will essentially go into manual operation mode. The program is assuming that you will be making a device and media available and will proceed when ready.

The key is to start ruling out the different variables, as outlined above, to determine where the delay is occuring and correct it.

Archived