I have a 40/80 DLT Drive and tape, but ...

Each time I try running my script that consists of 1 Recycled backup once a month and the remaining days a normal backup, it says that it needs another tape when in theory it should not be asking for another,because I have about 54.5 G of data that is being backup to and 80G tape.(COMPRESSED). Can somebody help me and tell me what I am doing wrong!.!.!.!.!.!...... frown.gif I do not know if this matters, but I am runing Retrospect for Servers ver. 5.6.127. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Again,

Praxis_Tech smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The tape is 40 gig native. Most long time users of tape drives will tell you that anything over native capacity is 'bonus' and not to be expected. The 80 gig compressed capacity assumes the following:

1. That you're going to get full capacity on your tapes - which really rarely happens.

2. That all data you're backing up can be compressed by at least 50% on the average - which also rarely happens.

The following KB articles go into more depth on capacity and compression:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=common_questions_detail&ACTION=COMMON_QUESTIONS_DETAIL&id=49

• 4 weeks later...