Registry restore win2k from Mac

I have restored a Windows 2000 computer from my Mac Server. The user guide tells me that I need to restore the registry using a utility. I found the utility but it tells me to select the source folder that I just restored and restore to the /WINNT folder. I thought it was the /WINNT folder I just restored. I don't know where to find the backed up registry.

Can anyone tell me where the backed up registry can be found on my newly restored C: Drive?

Thanks

In order to restore the registry with the Registry Backup Manager, you must have first been using it to backup the registry (seperate from the full system backup). If you did not schedule this (or manually run it) the registry cannot be restored. The default location for the registry copy is: c:\windows\configbk

Registry Backup Manager Help

Use the Registry Backup Manager on your Windows clients to copy the clients' registry information so that Retrospect running on a Macintosh backup computer can back it up. Windows backup computers automatically back up client registry information.

With the Registry Backup Manager you can restore the copy from the backup and replace the registry. Use the Registry Backup Manager instead of Microsoft's RegBack to automatically copy the system's registry information according to a schedule. The Windows 95/98/Me registry is automatically backed up by Retrospect, so this utility is for use only with Windows NT/2000/XP.

Strategy

Use the Registry Backup Manager to copy the Windows NT/2000/XP registry to a folder on the hard disk, then use Retrospect to back up the hard disk (including the registry copy). If the registry becomes corrupt or damaged, you can restore the copy and replace the registry. If your hard disk crashes, you can restore the entire disk with Retrospect and then replace the registry with its backup. You can copy the registry at your convenience or have the Registry Backup Manager automatically copy it for you each day.

Launching the Registry Backup Manager

Browse to the Retrospect Client application folder (default location, C:\Program Files\Dantz\Client) and double-click regcopy.exe.

Manual Copying

From the Copy tab, you can copy the Windows NT/2000/XP registry to the shown destination folder. You can specify a different destination, but we recommend using the default. To have the registry copied to a different folder, click Browse and specify the folder by using the dialog. To perform the copy, click the Copy Now button and the Registry Backup Manager will quickly copy the Windows NT/2000/XP registry information to the specified destination folder. Make sure the folder is included in your regular backups with Retrospect.

Automatic Copying

From the Automate tab, you can set up the Registry Backup Manager to perform daily unattended copying of the Windows NT/2000/XP registry at a specific time. Click the On button to enable automatic copying. Enter the time at which the registry should be copied each day and click Apply. The folder to which the registry will be copied is shown. (We recommend using the default destination folder.) To have the registry copied to a different folder, click Browse and specify the folder by using the dialog. Make sure the folder is included in your regular backups with Retrospect. Click the Off button and click Apply to disable automatic copying.

Replacing the Registry

From the Replace tab, you can replace the current Windows NT/2000/XP registry or replace the registry in a different Windows NT/2000/XP folder. The source folder in which the registry copy exists is shown. To have the registry replaced from a different folder (which must be on the same drive as the Windows NT/2000/XP operating system) click the top Browse button and specify the folder by using the dialog. The default destination folder is the current Windows NT/2000/XP folder. To replace the registry in a different Windows NT/2000/XP folder, click the bottom Browse button and use the dialog to specify another folder in which Windows NT/2000/XP is installed. To perform the replacement, click the Replace Now button and the Registry Manager will replace the destination registry with the copy in the source folder. After replacing the current Windows NT/2000/XP registry, you must restart the computer.

Completely Restoring a Non-Functioning Computer

Fix What Broke or Format What Is Not Fixable: Restart from an emergency boot disk and use a disk repair utility to examine the hard disk for problems and fix them. If the disk repair utility cannot fix the disk, you may have to reformat the disk before you can restore it. Warning: Formatting a hard disk destroys all data stored on the disk. If you are not sure whether you should format your hard disk, contact its vendor for assistance.

Install Windows: Install the Windows NT/2000/XP operating system software on the repaired or newly formatted hard disk, in a folder named WinTemp. (It must not have the same name as the Windows NT/2000/XP folder you are restoring.)

Configure TCP/IP: Make sure the computer is properly set up for use with TCP/IP networking. (See your network administrator if you need help configuring TCP/IP.)

Install Client Software: Use the Setup program to install the Retrospect Client software as instructed in the Retrospect User's Guide, but do not use the default path. Instead, install to the WinTemp folder. Restart the computer if prompted to do so.

Prepare Network Database: From the backup computer, log in the Client.

Restore Files: Choose restore>Entire Volume from the Retrospect navigation bar. Select the Backup Set that contains the most recent backup of the Client volume and select its Snapshot. Then select the destination Client volume (which must use the same drive letter as the backup) and choose to replace the corresponding files. In the summary window, verify your choices for the Source, Destination, Files Chosen, and Options, then execute the restore. (For detailed instructions, see the Retrospect User's Guide.) This step restores the backup registry folder to the disk.

Replace Registry: Run the Registry Backup Manager and click its Replace tab. Click the top Browse button and specify the source folder, which you just restored. Click the bottom Browse button to change the destination folder; specify the restored Windows NT/2000/XP folder (often C:\WinNT40 or C:\WinNT). Click Replace Now to replace the current registry with the backup.

Archived