Error 102 driving me mad

I have purchased a Lacie DAT drive with Firewire and USB 2.0 with Retrospect 5.6 so I can back up my Windows laptop (Windows 2000), small office network (Windows 2000 + 2 Windows 98 as clients) and my Mac running OS X.

When I backup from the laptop using the USB port (only a USB 1.0 so it takes a long time) everything works fine. Similarly with the firewire on the Mac.

However when I try to backup the network I don't get very far. Irrespective of whether I use the firewire or the USB 1.0 port on the Windows 2000 then before 1GB has been backed up I get an error 102.

This happens irrespective of whether I just try to back up the Windows 2000 machine alone or whether I am also including the other machines on the newtork in the backup.

As everything is working perfectly on the other platforms (the same cables, tapes etc are being used) then my only problem can be with the Windows 2000 machine (note that the problem doesn't occur on the laptop which is also Windows 2000). I have also cleaned the heads.

As you may gather from this I am quite frustrated and any pointers would be most gratefully received.

David Anson info@adv.co.uk

That the drive, cables and tapes work on two other computers running different operating systems indicates that the problem is specific to this one Windows computer.

Make sure the drive is plugged directly into the USB port and not routed through a USB hub.

Make sure you have all the latest updates provided by the manufacturer - hardware and software, chipset.

If the computer has USB 2.0, check the Microsoft Knowledgebase for known issues with USB 2.0:

http://support.microsoft.com/

Make sure there are no other programs running during backup. Uninstall any other third-party backup software applications, should they be installed.

> Make sure the drive is plugged directly into the USB port and not routed through a USB hub.

This has been the case but thanks for pointing it out

> Make sure you have all the latest updates provided by the manufacturer - hardware and software, chipset.

Not sure how I am going to achieve this as the computer is 2 or more years old

> If the computer has USB 2.0, check the Microsoft Knowledgebase for known issues with USB 2.0:

It is USB 1.0

> Make sure there are no other programs running during backup. Uninstall any other third-party backup software applications, should they be installed.

There are no other applications but there are always a lot of processes on Windows 2000. How would I know which ones are safe to terminate? I know if I was using Windows 98 then I would kill everything except SYSTRAY and EXPLORER. And I don't have a virus checker running in the background, it is only scanning e-mails and it is the same virus checker and settings as on my laptop which is working perfectly on backing up.

I do have a second, internal, tape drive in the machine and I will see if I need to remove/disconnect it although I am quite sure that there is no software relevant to this device running in the background.

This is a shot in the dark but...

Try turning off write caching on your PCs' harddrives, esp. the PC you're hanging the USB/Firewire drive on. You won't be able to turn it off for the USB/FW drive itself, but you should be able to turn it off on the HDs on that PC. W2K and XP default this to "on." This is under the Device Manager->Disk drives->Policies tab.

I was having some problems with RP6 when I first tried to back up to my USB drive from other PCs over my 100Mbps LAN. It wasn't -102 errors, but the RP6 log was reporting corruption and a verify confirmed this--I has to rebuild the catalog to correct it. I eventually tried turning off all write caching (on the PC with the USB drive as well as on all my other PCs) and the problems went away.

My theory was that streaming backup data may be temporarily cached on the assorted HDs and may not be handled cleanly as RP6 (which *thinks* the data transfer is done) does its thing and OSes connect/disconnect/transfer data.

Archived