error 1017

I've seen this error in previous posts but I am still not sure what to do.

I have a small development network with two machines running stand-alone, one with 2000 server the other with NT server, both using the local administrator log-on. Retrospect Workgroup is running on the 2000 server box. I can map the other volume. I can run the back-up script manually. I receive a error -1017 (insufficient permissions) when the script runs automatically.

I found the post on changing the launcher log-in from the services control panel, but if I am using the adminstrator account on both machines, what do I change??

- Mike

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem. I have tried the suggestions in the tech support document, but it does not fix my problem.

My server login is "admin", but when I put in that username and its password in the "This account: " setting it says, "The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified." If I change the username to "Administrator" it will accept this setting in the "This account:" field, but when I try to start the service, it says, "Could not start the Retrospect Launcher service on Local Computer. Error 1069: The service did not start dut to a logon failure.

I had Retrospect running fine under Windows 98 for a long time. I then got a new computer with Windows XP on it. I moved my Travan tape drive to the new computer and installed Retrospect. I first found that I had to download an update for Retrospect to get it to work on the manual backups. Now that I have that update, I can run the manual backup just fine, but like others, the unattended backup will not run correctly. The unattended backup launches and backs up my local folders, it goes out on the network and backs up some folders on a Windows 98 computer running the Retrospect client, but then it gives me the permissions error trying to back up some folders on my Novell server.

My main question is this. What username and password is the "This account:" setting looking for in the services control panel. I tried putting in the admin username and password that I log into the novell serer with and it won't even let me close the Retrospect Launcher Properties window. If I put in the XP administrator user name and password, I can close the Launcher properties, but can not start the service due to the error listed above.

Can anyone explain to me which user name and password I need to put into that field and how to fix this problem.

Thanks

Mark

Quote:

My main question is this. What username and password is the "This account:" setting looking for in the services control panel. I tried putting in the admin username and password that I log into the novell serer with and it won't even let me close the Retrospect Launcher Properties window. If I put in the XP administrator user name and password, I can close the Launcher properties, but can not start the service due to the error listed above. Can anyone explain to me which user name and password I need to put into that field and how to fix this problem.

The name / password combination must have full Admin rights on the computer, and will also need to have full Admin rights to the Novell volume. Windows XP is very permisssions based, whereas Microsoft 98 had little to no security controls. The following Microsoft article will help you troubleshoot the logon failure messages.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314357

Archived