Not detecting my DVD-RW drive

riyan

I'm interested in purchasing Dantz Backup software. For my customer, I used to have NTI backup software for a scheduled CD backup, but they are not compatible with the new DVD+RW drive that I bought. I have a Sony DRU-120A DVD+RW drive. This drive is in the Dantz Hardware Compatbility List. I downloaded the trial version of Dantz Retrospect Workgroup Backup and the trial version of Dantz Retrospect Server Backup (both from ftp.dantz.com). Neither piece of software is detecting my drive. My OS is Windows 2000 server. Any ideas on why it's doing this?

Riyan

Can you confirm which version of Retrospect you are using? Retrospect 6.0 is the currently shipping version. Trial editions for 5.x products are out of date. I would recommend downloading a Retrospect 6.0 trial from: http://www.dantz.com/products

The drive in question requires the following minimum versions for compatibility:

Retrospect 5.6

Retrspect Driver Update 2.8.108

Thanks for the quick reply. I will check the version ASAP (hopefully today). But I noticed that using the web link you supplied, I'm only able to download the trial to Retrospect Multi Server (I will only need the Server or Workgroup version). I went directly to the ftp site to download the one that I got. Like I said, I'll check the version and let you know soon.

Thanks,

Riyan

So I just checked and it is version Retrospect Workgroup Backup version 5.6 that I am using (no updates applied). This is the link to it:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/workgroup_trial.exe

From here it seems that my choices are to get some kind of driver update for that version 5.6 trial package, or download the trial version 6.0. This leads to the other question... do you have trial versions for Retrospect Workgroup Backup 6.0 or Retrospect (Single) Server Backup 6.0 yet? I thought I saw the single server 6.0 trial on the ftp site, but just downloading it isn't enough. I need to get a license code too. Last time I used the spanish version of the web site and filled out the form to get a 30-day trial code. This is because the English version of the site didn't have a link to a 5.6 or 6.0 trial version of Workgroup or Single Server. Could you send me an e-mail, or have the site updated? Sorry to ask for so much, and thanks for your help so far. I've been back and forth with NTI's tech support for the DVD+RW update and I just don't feel that the NTI software is a professional grade. I'm looking for a more reliable product that can be a long-term solution and if I can just make the trial work, I'll be buying your product for sure.

Riyan

You can download a Retrospect Driver Update for 5.6 at:

http://www.dantz.com/support/updates.html

In reply to:

. This leads to the other question... do you have trial versions for Retrospect Workgroup Backup 6.0 or Retrospect (Single) Server Backup 6.0 yet?

We currently only have trial editions for Retrospect 6.0 Professional and Retrospect 6.0 Multi-Server.

You can download a trial edition for Multi-Server at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=trial_terms&product=multi_server

Archived