HP200i DVD+RW Brutal Restore Process

Hi, Some help for any folks using the new HP 200i DVD+RW drive. Yes it does work with W2K Professional. Once the drive and software is installed, and Retrospect updated to the latest rev's, you will be able to create the backup as expected.

However, the restore is a Brutal process !!!

You will find half way through the restore process that Retrospect cannot read the backup DVD media in the DVD drive because the restore process does not include the DVD driver software needed for Retrospect to recognize the DVD in the drive. You will need to abort the Restore and load the HP software from the HP CDROM. Then reboot twice (aborting Retrospect again along the way). Then after the 2nd reboot, restart the Retrospect Restore process. I was lucky and got it to work, but there may be ways that it would not.

My suggestion would be for Dantz to include the HP200i drivers on the Emergency Recovery CD and place them correctly as part of the temp W2K OS install process.

Another odd item. During the temp OS install it asked for a grapic driver called "iAlmColn" that was not in the Drivers directory on the Emergency Recovery CD. I finally "canceled" to skip it and went on successfully. Not sure if I'll miss it later, but things look ok now.

The good news is that it does work. Now I just need to do something about my grey hair :-)

Regards, Rich

If you boot from the Windows 2000 Disaster Recovery CD and Retrospect or Windows is unable to see a backup device, hard disk or RAID configuration, it could be that the system is missing important drivers.

When booting from the Windows 2000 Disaster Recovery CD, the user will get a chance to add custom device drivers. This step is easy to miss.

It may be necessary to reboot from the DR CD if you find that some drivers are missing and need to be added.

The DR CD currently includes the I386 folder from the OS installation CD and device drivers in the DRIVERS folder on the CD that are listed in the registry, among other items.

The next release of Retrospect is improving the Disaster Recovery process in such a way that all drivers should be included.

Hi, I am familiar with the W2K additional driver proceedure (I've added RAID to other machines). However the HP 200i comes only with a CD and install software (which runs under Windows). I could not find a way to move the needed drivers to a floppy and install them correctly using the proceedure you suggested. Probably I missed something. Can you please tell me how to set up the HP 200i drivers on a floppy to use as you suggest? Then your approach would work and be much better than the process I had to follow.

Thanks, Rich 6-26

Hi, Good suggestion, however the relevant part of the CD has 223 files in 16 folders, some of which are large CAB files. There are no obvious driver files that I see. I could be wrong but I am concluding that there is a required windows based install process needed for this to work. Keep in mind that the drive supports standard CD ATAPI functionality "out of the box" with no drivers needed to allow the Win 2000 install CD to function properly. It is only the DVD functionality needed for Retrospect that requires the software to be installed, which creates the brutal situation I described in my original post. I think this needs attention by the Dantz Retrospect folks.

Thanks again for your interest, Rich 6-28

Hi again, On June 25 HP posted a new 3.5 Mb Firmware/Driver Download EXE installer file. This contains critical updates for for the HP DVD 200. With these updates you will be able to successfully use Retrospect to create a multi-DVD backup set. However, still unresolved is the problem about what HP DVD 200 drivers need to be put on the Disaster Recovery CD. This critical information is needed in order to install a recovery OS on a disk that can read the DVD backup disks. A critical problem if you actually need to restore from the backup :-) Hopefully someone (Dantz??) will come forward with guidance about this problem.

Regards, Rich 6-29

Archived