Multiple members

Devan_K

I am currently debating on changing my backup strategy. To date, I am unable to backup all of my data to one DLT tape (20GB). Rather than do a backup to multiple tapes on a daily basis and have to switch tapes, I've elected to backup half of the data to one tape one day and the other half to the other tape the next day. To date, this has been working fine, but I would ultimately like to have all the data backed up every day.

If I was to do a full (normal) backup of all my data I would be required to add a 2nd or possibly 3rd tape to the backup set. My question is this. If I was to continue doing normal backup's (incremental in which only new or changed files are backed up), would I be able to simply put in the last member of my backup set for the given day or would retrospect have to cycle thru all the tapes first and then ask for each successive tape after it realized the tape was full? The catalogue is stored on the hard drive of the server.

The backups are all scheduled and are completed when no one is in the office. No one is able to switch tapes as required and consequently it errors out after waiting the alloted time. Will this solution work?

D

In reply to:

If I was to continue doing normal backup's (incremental in which only new or changed files are backed up), would I be able to simply put in the last member of my backup set for the given day

Yes, backups sessions will only need to verify members used in a given session. If you do an incremental backup that spans 3 tapes, you'll need to verify all three tapes after copy. If you do a backup that only writes to single tape that session, you won't need to verify previous tapes.

Archived