Snapshot includes mapped drives?

A snapshot is a picture taken of the _entire_ source. If you are currently backing up your C: drive, for example, the snapshot will include all files on the drive. The goal of the snapshot is to have a picture of the drive at the time of the backup in order to later provide the ability to restore the system back to that exact state. If you go to Configure > Backup Sets and get Properties for a given set, you'll see Snapshots and Sessions. A snapshot is a picture of the entire source, while a session is a listing of only the new and changed files backed up in the given session.

Hmmm, that doesn't specifically answer my question... Now I know the difference between a snapshot and a session, and why I would want to have them. The closest answer I got was "the _entire _source", which unfortunately didn't help. I was looking for something like "The client only scans local physical drives only, the mapped drives are ignored", or something like that. Oh well...

Well anyways, I did some further testing and discovered it doesn't...

However (new topic), I did notice that it does indeed take a snapshot of the "_entire_source" and catalogs the whole folder structure , however I'm only backing up (as part of my selectors) a few specific folders. Why? The data backup can take 2 minutes, while the snapshot update can take 1+ HRS, multiply this by 40+ clients and this adds alot of time to my backups. I'm suspecting your answer will be to "provide the ability to restore the system back to that exact state", but how can this be done when I'm only backing up one folder?

I don't believe I would want to do that, since if I needed to restore, all I would have is a "flat" file list (Page 215), no hierarchy. Yeah, I would have the data but I would hate to give it to a user that lost their data, "Here you go Bob, now you can spend day figuring out what folders they were in. Later!"

[Rant mode on]

It seems like a simple thing, doesn't it? Backup these files with their associated folders, and don't spend time on anything else! I believe MS Backup does this SIMPLE task and it even restores them with their NTFS permssioning without taking forever...

[Rant mode off]

Yeah, I had a discovered that "feature" and thought it might workaround the problem as some of the selectors I have are static in location, however other selectors are not. For example I backup My Documents and Favorites which are (At least in 2000) located in the Documents and Settings folder, however I also have other selectors like Projects, Databases and Resources which users could have anywhere on their drive. So I believe Subvolumes would narrow my search too much and could potentially miss data.

Archived