Unattended Operation

jmosk

I have my weekly backup set for Unattended operation. But I find that the scripts are not running when requested. Instead, a blinking Retrospect Icon is appearing on the taskbar. If I then go to startup Retrospect manually, it immediately starts the Backup. Why isn't this running unattended? Frankly, it used to. But for the last several weeks this has been happening. I can't relate the change in operation to anything that might have been changed in the system/network configuration.

If Retrospect tries to run a script right after you launch the program, the service which autolaunches Retrospect, the Launcher, may not be working correctly. Reinstall it by doing the following:

Go to Special>Preferences from the Retrospect Directory and click Unattended. Uncheck "Enable Retrospect Launcher service." Now quit and restart your PC. Launch Retrospect and check "Enable Retrospect Launcher." Now quit and restart again.

I tried doing what you suggested, but the same thing continues to happen. The Retrospect icon in the system tray is blinking and when I manually start Retrospect, my scheduled backup script immediate takes off. I am running Windows '98. Is there some way we can determine if this launcher service is actually operating?

Windows 98 does not provide direct access to the Services. You may have something else on your system that is preventing Retrospect from launching. Make sure all programs are completely closed. While on your desktop, type Cntrl-Alt-Del and End Task on everything but the 'systray' and the 'Explorer' and close out of the box. Schedule Retrospect to run a backup in a few minutes. If the automatic launch works sucessfully, you'll need to isolate which third-party program is preventing auto-launch.