Cannot make Retrospect detect an OnStream USB-30 Tape Drive using Windows 2000 Pro

rbetsch

I cannot get my Retrospect 5.15 to talk to an OnStream USB-30 tape drive. The drive has a flash 1.09. and I am running Windows 2000 Pro. I have also downloaded the RDU 2.1 update and moved the rdu.rpx file into the retrospect directory. When retrospect loads, the log file shows that the update is recognized.

I installed the drive following OnStream's instructions. When the USB is plugged in for the first time, the Plug&Play message comes up identifying the Freecom USB connection needs to be installed. This installation seems to work fine. Checking the Device manager shows the Freecom driver to be loaded under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

After the installation of the Freecom is complete, a new Plug&Play message appears saying that a DI-30 has been detected (Note that it does NOT say USB-30).

No matter what I try, I cannot fine a driver for this device which will be accepted by Windows. I have tried using the sc2K.inf, sc2k.sys files to load the driver, but I get a message that the files do not contain a driver for the existing device. OnStream tells me that Retrospect contains the driver I need.

When I run Retrospect, I get no tape drive detected. I ran the FILE aspichk.exe and see the following components:

Components Version Date

WNASPI32.DLL 4.60(1021) 09/10/99

WINASPI.DLL 4.60(1021) 09/10/99

ASPI32.SYS 4.60(1021) 09/10/99

WOWPOST.EXE 4.60(1021) 09/10/99

Also the bottom of the dialog says: "ASPI is properly installed and is fully operational. One host adapter has been detected."

How does Retrospect provide a Windows 2000 driver for this tape drive?

Unless there is something new with the Windows Hardware Device Manager, my understanding is that having a yellow question mark in front of the tape drive tells me that it is not installed properly, eg:

DEVICE MANAGER

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Freedom Cable II USBc (installed OK)

? Other Devices

? OnStream DI 30 (not properly installed)

How do I get rid of the yellow "?" for the USB-30? Do I need to? I cannot find a software driver for it anywhere.

Regis

It sounds like the Freecom drivers are installed. The next step is to get the device drivers installed. While Retrospect does provide device support within the program, access is dependent on proper installation of Onstream drivers for this particular device. Retrospect aside, this drive uses drivers that allow it to show up correctly in the Windows Device Manager. Retrospect drivers are either built into the program, or provided through an RDU. Neither of these methods provide device support to the Device Manager.

1. The two files downloaded should be named "sc2k.inf" and "sc2k.sys", and should be put in the same location. Try moving these files to a folder on your hard drive - rather then accessing them from the Onstream CD. You may have better luck.

2. When Windows then detects the OnStream USB30 drive, point to the downloaded file "sc2k.inf".

3. In Device Manager, you should see the following:

-Under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers", there should be a listing for "Freecom Cable USB". Driver properties for this device should display "FCCable.sys", "FCLogMsg.dll", and "FCUSB.sys".

-Under "Tape drives", there should be a listing for "OnStream USB30". Driver properties for this device should display "sc2k.sys".

AmyC identified one area that isn't working.

1. The two files downloaded should be named "sc2k.inf" and "sc2k.sys", and should be put in the same location. Try moving these files to a folder on your hard drive - rather then accessing them from the Onstream CD. You may have better luck.

I have downloaded these files and put them into a folder C:\USB. I then attempt to install the USB-30 (identified as DI-30 in the Device manager). When I try to install the tape drive, I point to the file "C:\USB\sc2k.inf". This file is read, then the file winnt.inf is accessed according to the display in the Update Device Driver Wizard in Windows 2000.

It finally quits with the following message:

------

? OnStream DI-30

Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device. To search another location click Back, or if you do not want to install a driver now click Finish.

------

Any suggestions?

The only other suggestion I can make is to use the DriverRemove.exe that Onstream includes in the driver download. Use it, reboot and when Windows asks for the drivers for the tape device, point it to your C:\USB folder.

If this doesn't work, I would recommend contacting Onstream. The OnStream DI-30 is the IDE/ATAPI version of the drive - your USB drive should show up as USB30. I suspect this is why the drivers aren't "taking."

Archived