Remote drive not accessible

JPines

Why do some volumes not show up on remote clients? We have a Win2K Server running Retrospect Server V5.6 and 5 others running Retrospect Client. One of the clients is our file server (a nice thing to back up). Only one of the 2 drives on the file server appears in Retrospect as a volume which can be backed up. The drive (volume) which does not appear is a 28gb Raid array. I manually created a volume in Retrospect using the drive share: \\servername\d$

The problem is, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. When it fails, we get:

Can't access volume d on "servername", error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

The service account running Retrospect is a Domain Admin, and the server Retrospect is on has no problem seeing the network administrative share. There is nothing to indicate that there is a legitimate security problem.

Ideally, I would like the remote client method to work correctly. As a fallback, why are we getting permission problems although the server seems to be able to see the remote drive just fine? Is there another way to do this? Thanks!

Jeff Pines

If you are using the client software and cannot see all locally attached volumes on the client, uninstall the client, reboot, log in as Administrator and install a clean copy of the Retrospect client. 'Forget' the client on the backup computer (Configure > Clients) and click Add to add the newly installed client.

This will also allow you to get past the permissions errors you are seeing when backing up volumes via Windows Networking.

I uninstalled using Add/Remove programs, re-booted, then re-installed. I forgot and re-added the client from the Backup Server. When I went to look at "Volumes" on the Client, only the C drive was listed. Still no D drive. It exists - why can't Retrospect see it?

I was logged in as the Domain Admin for both the uninstall and re-install.

What else can I try? Thanks!

Jeff Pines

Archived