Frequent pausing during Backup Server backups

I am running Retrospect Workgroup Backup 5.0 under Mac OS 9.1 on a Power Computing clone with a NewerTech G3 upgrade card. I am backing up approximately 15 Macs and PCs to DLT, using only the Backup Server feature of the software. After upgrading Retrospect from version 5.0.203 to 5.0.205, the backup execution will frequently pause during client backups and comparisons, and will not resume until the Continue button is selected. The pausing appears random, and is happening on average about once every half hour during periods of continuous backup activity. These pauses are occuring even when there is little traffic on our network and even when there is no user activity (or any other activity, for that matter) on the client being backed up at the time. The operations log makes no mention of these pauses. After first noticing the problem, I also downloaded and installed Retrospect Driver Update version 2.7, not knowing if I needed it, but this seems to have had no effect on the problem.

I do not recall this problem ever happening on the earlier builds of the 5.0 software, let alone happening with this frequency. Could a bug have been introduced in this latest build? Is it possible to go back to the previous release (5.0.203) with no adverse effects on my data?

Forum contributor aurbach wrote that Retrospect 5.0 would pause (with the Retrospect cursor animation halting) during periods of long user inactivity (i.e., no mouse or keyboard input). He says he fixed his problem by downgrading the Apple Carbonlib extension from version 1.5 to 1.3.1. His problem is not identical to mine, but I may try his fix.

Any ideas from forum users are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

Are there any other programs running on this computer at the time of the backup? Are other users using this computer? Retrospect is designed to Pause whenever it is put into the background when running a Backup Server script.

A dialog box from another program can cause Retrospect to be put in the background. Try leaving the machine booted with base extensions, Retro.startup, plus any extensions that may be needed to access your backup device. Run Backup Server - does the problem go away? If so, you've got another program interfering with the backup execution.

Archived