Disaster Recovery CD Creation in WindowsXP

I have been using Retrospect Backup for Windows 5.6 under Windows 2000 for some time now and recently upgraded the OS on my system to Windows XP Professional. I would like to be able to create a bootable disaster recovery CD with Retrospect Backup.

Under Windows 2000, I was able to find on the net a "boot sector" file that made the CD bootable (without an "emulation") [That's one of the options for creating a bootable CD with EZCD Creator]. I am wondering whether any user has determined whether a Windows 2K boot sector will work for a Windows XP bootable CD; that is, will it boot into Windows XP? If not, has anyone located a comparable boot sector file for Windows XP that does the job?

Thanks!!

The Retrospect DR CD will boot into a temporary system based on the I386 folder - if it is Windows 2000 based, the temp system will be Windows 2000. If the folder is Windows XP based, the temp system will be Windows XP.

If you have recently changed operating systems, you may want to make a new Disaster Recovery CD. However, this is only necessary when hardware changes are made to the computer.

Amy C.

Thanks. I tested it out using the boot sector image that I had for a Windows 2000 bootable CD and it worked correctly. The DR CD booted into Windows XP setup. One would think that Dantz would at least provide us with a link to where we can get an appropriate boot sector image or make such a file downloadable from the Dantz web site. As far as I know, one does need to have a boot sector image in order to create a bootable CD.

In reply to:

One would think that Dantz would at least provide us with a link to where we can get an appropriate boot sector image or make such a file downloadable from the Dantz web site.

If your goal is only to make a bootable CD for your computer, rather then a Retrospect Disaster Recovery CD, then you may want to check the Microsoft website for the components you are looking for.

The Disaster Recovery feature, that is built-in to Retrospect, is solely designed to make a bootable, disaster recovery CD for your computer.

The Disaster Recovery CD makes an image that includes ALL components needed to boot your computer with a temporary system and start an emergency restore from your backup media. There is nothing that you need to retrieve on your own from the internet to facilitate this process.

Amy C.

Thanks. My goal was/is to simply make a Disaster Recovery CD for a Windows XP that boots correctly. I was operating under the mistaken impression, gained by misreading the manual for EZCD Creator, that, in order to make the CD bootable I needed to add a boot sector image file to the ISO image created by Retrospect. Your additional advice corrected this error.

Thanks again for your help!